From: Jane Galt on
I'm just getting time to start using this.

It's a little surprising that when hooked up via the USB port, I cant see the
SD card as a drive, with Altap Salamander, and simply transfer files that
way.

The only way to transfer files is with the Canon software, and then it will
only move them to the Pictures directory on my drive, not where I want them.

--
- Jane Galt
From: Ofnuts on
On 14/07/2010 03:56, Jane Galt wrote:
> I'm just getting time to start using this.
>
> It's a little surprising that when hooked up via the USB port, I cant see the
> SD card as a drive, with Altap Salamander, and simply transfer files that
> way.
>
> The only way to transfer files is with the Canon software, and then it will
> only move them to the Pictures directory on my drive, not where I want them.

The Canon cameras don't connect as mass storage devices but as Digital
Still Cameras. A lot of software can handle this, including, for those I
have used, Picasa and the Windows explorer where, from memory, the
camera appears below the drives (this may require installing a driver
from the CD, but if you have installed the Canon software it should have
been done already).

On the other hand it's usually much faster and more practical to extract
the card from the camera and use a card reader in the PC (and then you
have mass storage support).

--
Bertrand
From: Savageduck on
On 2010-07-14 05:40:59 -0700, krishnananda
<krishna(a)divine-life.in.invalid> said:

> In article <4c3d678a$0$22394$426a74cc(a)news.free.fr>,
> Ofnuts <o.f.n.u.t.s(a)la.poste.net> wrote:
>
>> On 14/07/2010 03:56, Jane Galt wrote:
>>> I'm just getting time to start using this.
>>>
>>> It's a little surprising that when hooked up via the USB port, I cant see
>>> the
>>> SD card as a drive, with Altap Salamander, and simply transfer files that
>>> way.
>>>
>>> The only way to transfer files is with the Canon software, and then it will
>>> only move them to the Pictures directory on my drive, not where I want
>>> them.
>>
>> The Canon cameras don't connect as mass storage devices but as Digital
>> Still Cameras. A lot of software can handle this, including, for those I
>> have used, Picasa and the Windows explorer where, from memory, the
>> camera appears below the drives (this may require installing a driver
>> from the CD, but if you have installed the Canon software it should have
>> been done already).
>>
>> On the other hand it's usually much faster and more practical to extract
>> the card from the camera and use a card reader in the PC (and then you
>> have mass storage support).
>
> From a Mac point of view, I gave up connecting my camera via USB because
> Adobe Bridge, iPhoto, _and_ the Canon software all tried to compete for
> the connection as soon as the cable was plugged in.

A quick trip to the preferences menu can fix that conflict problem.
Having said that, I prefer to use a card reader and load the files
where I want them, just as you explain below.

--
Regards,

Savageduck

From: Allen on
Savageduck wrote:
> On 2010-07-14 05:40:59 -0700, krishnananda
> <krishna(a)divine-life.in.invalid> said:
>
>> In article <4c3d678a$0$22394$426a74cc(a)news.free.fr>,
>> Ofnuts <o.f.n.u.t.s(a)la.poste.net> wrote:

>>> The Canon cameras don't connect as mass storage devices but as Digital
>>> Still Cameras. A lot of software can handle this, including, for those I
>>> have used, Picasa and the Windows explorer where, from memory, the
>>> camera appears below the drives (this may require installing a driver
>>> from the CD, but if you have installed the Canon software it should have
>>> been done already).
>>>
>>> On the other hand it's usually much faster and more practical to extract
>>> the card from the camera and use a card reader in the PC (and then you
>>> have mass storage support).
>>
>> From a Mac point of view, I gave up connecting my camera via USB because
>> Adobe Bridge, iPhoto, _and_ the Canon software all tried to compete for
>> the connection as soon as the cable was plugged in.
>
> A quick trip to the preferences menu can fix that conflict problem.
> Having said that, I prefer to use a card reader and load the files where
> I want them, just as you explain below.
>
>> I use a simple
>> multi-format card reader to mount the camera's SD-HC card as an external
>> disk & it works great.
>>
>> Just my USD 0.02 (EUR 0.0157)

I paid about $5 US for my card reader a few years ago at Fry's. That's
the only way I ever extract files to disc.
Allen