From: john on

> On 9/26/2010 8:09 AM, David Mehler wrote:
>> Hello,
>> Do we have any SEO experts on this list? I'm not one, learning only,
>> reading a book and a few articles/tutorials from webmasters, and I'm
>> wanting to optimize an existing site to get the best search rank
>> possible. Some techniques, dos and don'ts would be appreciated.
>> Thanks.
>> Dave.

Sure, it's what I do.

Well first you need to work out which keyphrases to optimise for, and
that's not obvious. Search Google for "keyword tool external" to find a
Google tool that tells you something about the demand for a phrase and the
competition for it.

What you are trying to find are phrases that a) are very very relevant to
your client, b) have lots of demand traffic, and c) don't have too much
competition.

The other thing to check is whether anyone else is making money at your
selected phrases, so search for them in Google and see if people are
advertising.

Then group your phrases: so "wet dog" becomes a keyphrase group that
includes phrases like "getting rid of wet dog smell", "avoiding wet dog
shake" and so on.

You are building a site to satisfy the keyphrase groups you've identified,
so then one way or another you want a "wet dog" page that's optimised for
that phrase, which means you mention "wet dog" a few times especially in
the headline and page title and don't mention lots of other things.

Then you want some links from other people's pages, Twitter, Delicious,
YouTube and so on to your wet dog page, preferably text links that include
the phrase "wet dog".

Then you watch your Analytics data to check that people who arrive on your
site are satisfied and covert into sales (or signups or whatever you are
doing). If not, you run a Google Website Optimizer test to improve things
like your headline, photos and so on.

If you like, run through http://www.flowmarketing.co.uk and fill in the
form where you get stuck. It's obviously a work in progress :-) and I'll
complete the page that you end up at.

By all means email me the website and I can be more specific.

Good luck :-)

Cheers
http://www.johnallsopp.co.uk

From: Zareef Ahmed on
A good thread and really good answers/posts are coming but in my humble
opinion this topic does not suit php-general list or atleast we should focus
on the points where php can play a role :)

On M, buton, Sep 27, 2010 at 12:54 PM, <john(a)johnallsopp.co.uk> wrote:

> > On 9/26/2010 8:09 AM, David Mehler wrote:
> >> Hello,
> >> Do we have any SEO experts on this list? I'm not one, learning only,
> >> reading a book and a few articles/tutorials from webmasters, and I'm
> >> wanting to optimize an existing site to get the best search rank
> >> possible. Some techniques, dos and don'ts would be appreciated.
> >> Thanks.
> >> Dave.
>
> Sure, it's what I do.
>
> Well first you need to work out which keyphrases to optimise for, and
> that's not obvious. Search Google for "keyword tool external" to find a
> Google tool that tells you something about the demand for a phrase and the
> competition for it.
>
> What you are trying to find are phrases that a) are very very relevant to
> your client, b) have lots of demand traffic, and c) don't have too much
> competition.
>
> The other thing to check is whether anyone else is making money at your
> selected phrases, so search for them in Google and see if people are
> advertising.
>
> Then group your phrases: so "wet dog" becomes a keyphrase group that
> includes phrases like "getting rid of wet dog smell", "avoiding wet dog
> shake" and so on.
>
> You are building a site to satisfy the keyphrase groups you've identified,
> so then one way or another you want a "wet dog" page that's optimised for
> that phrase, which means you mention "wet dog" a few times especially in
> the headline and page title and don't mention lots of other things.
>
> Then you want some links from other people's pages, Twitter, Delicious,
> YouTube and so on to your wet dog page, preferably text links that include
> the phrase "wet dog".
>
> Then you watch your Analytics data to check that people who arrive on your
> site are satisfied and covert into sales (or signups or whatever you are
> doing). If not, you run a Google Website Optimizer test to improve things
> like your headline, photos and so on.
>
> If you like, run through http://www.flowmarketing.co.uk and fill in the
> form where you get stuck. It's obviously a work in progress :-) and I'll
> complete the page that you end up at.
>
> By all means email me the website and I can be more specific.
>
> Good luck :-)
>
> Cheers
> http://www.johnallsopp.co.uk

Zareef Ahmed