From: David Mehler on
Hello,
Do we have any SEO experts on this list? I'm not one, learning only,
reading a book and a few articles/tutorials from webmasters, and I'm
wanting to optimize an existing site to get the best search rank
possible. Some techniques, dos and don'ts would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Dave.
From: tedd on
At 8:09 AM -0400 9/26/10, David Mehler wrote:
>Hello,
>Do we have any SEO experts on this list? I'm not one, learning only,
>reading a book and a few articles/tutorials from webmasters, and I'm
>wanting to optimize an existing site to get the best search rank
>possible. Some techniques, dos and don'ts would be appreciated.
>Thanks.
>Dave.

Dave:

That's far too broad a question. SEO can't be broken down into a few
do's and don'ts that can be listed on a post. That's like asking
"Anyone have any do's and don'ts about PHP?"

Please be reasonable with your questions.

Cheers,

tedd

--
-------
http://sperling.com/
From: Nathan Nobbe on
Dave,

the general advice I can give you is focus on fundamentals not on fads.
domain name, h1, h2, title tags and alt attributes are key tools to tell
bots what your pages are about. view your pages without javascript or css
to see how a bot will view them.

links from other sites are important as well, but don't forget internal
links. if you have links pointing from several pages on your site to one
important page, search engines can tell that.

unique content is also great as it distinguishes your site from competitors.

-nathan

From: Al on

On 9/26/2010 8:09 AM, David Mehler wrote:
> Hello,
> Do we have any SEO experts on this list? I'm not one, learning only,
> reading a book and a few articles/tutorials from webmasters, and I'm
> wanting to optimize an existing site to get the best search rank
> possible. Some techniques, dos and don'ts would be appreciated.
> Thanks.
> Dave.

Google "Webmasters" is a very good resource.
From: Shreyas Agasthya on
Avoid 302's as mush as possible.

--Shreyas

On Sun, Sep 26, 2010 at 8:55 PM, Al <news(a)ridersite.org> wrote:

> On 9/26/2010 8:09 AM, David Mehler wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>> Do we have any SEO experts on this list? I'm not one, learning only,
>> reading a book and a few articles/tutorials from webmasters, and I'm
>> wanting to optimize an existing site to get the best search rank
>> possible. Some techniques, dos and don'ts would be appreciated.
>> Thanks.
>> Dave.
>>

> Google "Webmasters" is a very good resource.

Regards,
Shreyas Agasthya