From: mc on
Since I added a ATI x1300 to my gx280 SFF the heat has noticeably
increased with the cpu fan working harder. Is there a way to increase
cooling to the SFF type machines. This particular computer is laying
flat and not standing vertical...I not sure which is the best for air
flow. Is there another type of ATI card (64 to 256 MB range) that
produces less heat or stresses the cpu the least?
mc
From: Ben Myers on
On 7/11/2010 9:50 AM, mc wrote:
> Since I added a ATI x1300 to my gx280 SFF the heat has noticeably
> increased with the cpu fan working harder. Is there a way to increase
> cooling to the SFF type machines. This particular computer is laying
> flat and not standing vertical...I not sure which is the best for air
> flow. Is there another type of ATI card (64 to 256 MB range) that
> produces less heat or stresses the cpu the least?
> mc

The selection of LP PCI-Express cards is really limited. It sounds like
the added card is inhibiting some airflow. Or maybe it is simply the
CPU working harder, although a real graphics card is supposed to offload
processing.

At this point, I suggest removing the heat sink/fan and cleaning it
thoroughly with compressed air, q-tips, and a soft-bristled brush.
Also, blast compressed air into the power supply, as it may also have
dust and dirt in it... Ben Myers