From: Sam Guyer on
Hi everyone,

I have a question on how the HP 48GX handles RAM cards: Recently, I
received a SMI 2MB RAM card with non-replaceable rechargeable
battery. I've researched as much as I could about this card and know
that it's rechargeable battery was only expected to last 10 years.
From experience I've found that removing the card from the calculator
for more than a few seconds at most causes the ram to be cleared, thus
suggesting that the battery is all but completely dead. However, if I
leave the card in the calculator the contents of the RAM remain
stable, about a week so far.

Does the calculator power RAM cards while they are inserted? If so,
is there any way I could lose the contents of the SMI card's RAM while
leaving the calculator off but checking often enough to ensure that
the calc batteries haven't died? I use my HP in school, but not every
quarter and would like to know if this card will work for me (ie,
retain it's data) or if I should look into finding a card with a
replaceable battery.

Thanks in advance for your help!

-Sam Guyer
From: PremiumBlend on
On Sep 4, 1:40 am, Sam Guyer <guy...(a)u.washington.edu> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I have a question on how the HP 48GX handles RAM cards:  Recently, I
> received a SMI 2MB RAM card with non-replaceable rechargeable
> battery.  I've researched as much as I could about this card and know
> that it's rechargeable battery was only expected to last 10 years.
> From experience I've found that removing the card from the calculator
> for more than a few seconds at most causes the ram to be cleared, thus
> suggesting that the battery is all but completely dead.  However, if I
> leave the card in the calculator the contents of the RAM remain
> stable, about a week so far.
>
> Does the calculator power RAM cards while they are inserted?  If so,
> is there any way I could lose the contents of the SMI card's RAM while
> leaving the calculator off but checking often enough to ensure that
> the calc batteries haven't died?  I use my HP in school, but not every
> quarter and would like to know if this card will work for me (ie,
> retain it's data) or if I should look into finding a card with a
> replaceable battery.
>
> Thanks in advance for your help!
>
> -Sam Guyer

Hello Sam,

According to my SMI User's Guide (1997):

The RAM card uses an internal battery to maintain its data
independent of the HP48. The RAM card battery should be
replaced every 10-12 months, since this internal battery is
needed to maintain data independent of the HP48. It uses a
3-volt camera battery, type CR2016.
The RAM card runs off the HP48 battery only while the HP48
is on. A RAM card cannot retain data if you remove a RAM
card battery while the HP48 is off, or while the RAM card is
not installed in the calculator.
To replace the battery, turn the HP48 on. It should remain on
during this procedure to protect the data stored on the RAM
card. When you repalce the RAM card battery, you may
occasionally get an "invalid card data" message when you
first use the RAM card. See "error messages" below for the
remedy.
The user's guide refers to a 12 month, not a ten year
battery. You might be able to find out more about the later
by searching around on the Internet. If I find out any more
about your card I'll post it.

Regards,

Mark
From: PremiumBlend on
On Sep 4, 1:40 am, Sam Guyer <guy...(a)u.washington.edu> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I have a question on how the HP 48GX handles RAM cards:  Recently, I
> received a SMI 2MB RAM card with non-replaceable rechargeable
> battery.  I've researched as much as I could about this card and know
> that it's rechargeable battery was only expected to last 10 years.
> From experience I've found that removing the card from the calculator
> for more than a few seconds at most causes the ram to be cleared, thus
> suggesting that the battery is all but completely dead.  However, if I
> leave the card in the calculator the contents of the RAM remain
> stable, about a week so far.
>
> Does the calculator power RAM cards while they are inserted?  If so,
> is there any way I could lose the contents of the SMI card's RAM while
> leaving the calculator off but checking often enough to ensure that
> the calc batteries haven't died?  I use my HP in school, but not every
> quarter and would like to know if this card will work for me (ie,
> retain it's data) or if I should look into finding a card with a
> replaceable battery.
>
> Thanks in advance for your help!
>
> -Sam Guyer

I was poking around the Internet and found something for you from
Eagle Point, who now own SMI:

The 10-year battery RAM card will draw power occasionally from the
batteries of the HP 48. A low battery indication for the RAM card will
happen when the calculator is not used for long periods of time, used
occasionally or because the batteries in the HP 48 are/were weak.

Read more about it at

ftp://ftp2.eaglepoint.com/weblinks/WhitePapers/SMI/HP48%20FAQ.pdf

Your best bet is to back your data up on your computer. Try to get the
SMI Transfer program to do that. If you can't find it, let me know and
I'll see if I still have mine.
From: Sam Guyer on
On Sep 4, 7:05 am, PremiumBlend <mnhollin...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Sep 4, 1:40 am, Sam Guyer <guy...(a)u.washington.edu> wrote:
>

> > Hi everyone,
>
> > I have a question on how the HP 48GX handles RAM cards:  Recently, I
> > received a SMI 2MB RAM card with non-replaceable rechargeable
> > battery.  I've researched as much as I could about this card and know
> > that it's rechargeable battery was only expected to last 10 years.
> > From experience I've found that removing the card from the calculator
> > for more than a few seconds at most causes the ram to be cleared, thus
> > suggesting that the battery is all but completely dead.  However, if I
> > leave the card in the calculator the contents of the RAM remain
> > stable, about a week so far.
>
> > Does the calculator power RAM cards while they are inserted?  If so,
> > is there any way I could lose the contents of the SMI card's RAM while
> > leaving the calculator off but checking often enough to ensure that
> > the calc batteries haven't died?  I use my HP in school, but not every
> > quarter and would like to know if this card will work for me (ie,
> > retain it's data) or if I should look into finding a card with a
> > replaceable battery.
>
> > Thanks in advance for your help!
>
> > -Sam Guyer
>
> I was poking around the Internet and found something for you from
> Eagle Point, who now own SMI:
>
> The 10-year battery RAM card will draw power occasionally from the
> batteries of the HP 48. A low battery indication for the RAM card will
> happen when the calculator is not used for long periods of time, used
> occasionally or because the batteries in the HP 48 are/were weak.
>
> Read more about it at
>
> ftp://ftp2.eaglepoint.com/weblinks/WhitePapers/SMI/HP48%20FAQ.pdf
>
> Your best bet is to back your data up on your computer. Try to get the
> SMI Transfer program to do that. If you can't find it, let me know and
> I'll see if I still have mine.

I took a look, but I wasn't able to find the program. From the Eagle
Point site it looks like they only offer it as part of a paid suite.
If you could find it I would really appreciate it, guyers u washington
(edu). Thanks for your help!

-Sam
From: PremiumBlend on
On Sep 5, 12:44 am, Sam Guyer <guy...(a)u.washington.edu> wrote:
> On Sep 4, 7:05 am, PremiumBlend <mnhollin...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
>

> > On Sep 4, 1:40 am, Sam Guyer <guy...(a)u.washington.edu> wrote:
>
> > > Hi everyone,
>
> > > I have a question on how the HP 48GX handles RAM cards:  Recently, I
> > > received a SMI 2MB RAM card with non-replaceable rechargeable
> > > battery.  I've researched as much as I could about this card and know
> > > that it's rechargeable battery was only expected to last 10 years.
> > > From experience I've found that removing the card from the calculator
> > > for more than a few seconds at most causes the ram to be cleared, thus
> > > suggesting that the battery is all but completely dead.  However, if I
> > > leave the card in the calculator the contents of the RAM remain
> > > stable, about a week so far.
>
> > > Does the calculator power RAM cards while they are inserted?  If so,
> > > is there any way I could lose the contents of the SMI card's RAM while
> > > leaving the calculator off but checking often enough to ensure that
> > > the calc batteries haven't died?  I use my HP in school, but not every
> > > quarter and would like to know if this card will work for me (ie,
> > > retain it's data) or if I should look into finding a card with a
> > > replaceable battery.
>
> > > Thanks in advance for your help!
>
> > > -Sam Guyer
>
> > I was poking around the Internet and found something for you from
> > Eagle Point, who now own SMI:
>
> > The 10-year battery RAM card will draw power occasionally from the
> > batteries of the HP 48. A low battery indication for the RAM card will
> > happen when the calculator is not used for long periods of time, used
> > occasionally or because the batteries in the HP 48 are/were weak.
>
> > Read more about it at
>
> >ftp://ftp2.eaglepoint.com/weblinks/WhitePapers/SMI/HP48%20FAQ.pdf
>
> > Your best bet is to back your data up on your computer. Try to get the
> > SMI Transfer program to do that. If you can't find it, let me know and
> > I'll see if I still have mine.
>
> I took a look, but I wasn't able to find the program.  From the Eagle
> Point site it looks like they only offer it as part of a paid suite.
> If you could find it I would really appreciate it, guyers u washington
> (edu).  Thanks for your help!
>
> -Sam- Hide quoted text -

You're in luck! I have the SMI Transfer 98 on a 3.5" floppy. I hope
you
have a floppy drive. Which SMI COGO card are you using? What is
your major at school?