From: Joe on
Today one of my SBS2003 customers email stopped going out. I suspected the
exchange DST patch that took effect last night was a likely cause. Event logs
indicated a SMTP DNS problem. We ocasionally have problems with our providers
DNS server so I ran the CEICW and changed the DNS server to an alternate DNS
servers but that did not fix it.

As it turns out the Virtual SMTP server had three direct entries left over
from an old location where the server started its life almost 4 years ago as
SBS 2000.

In ServerManagement - Advanced management - administrative groups/first
administrative group/servers/servername/protocols/SMTP/default virtual server
- properties. Deliver tab, Advanced button, Configure external DNS servers I
foundre three entries.

These enties were overriding the server DNS settings. As it turns out these
were old bellsouth DNS servers that went offline today. Talk about
coincidence!

For now I set these entries to the correct DNS servers and immediately the
email started flowing. I have since looked at my other installations and this
field was blank. I would conclude that this area sould be blank unless there
is an complelling reason to override the server DNS setting.

Hope this helps someone. Maybe everyone else knows about this entry. I know
I won't forget it!!

From: Cris Hanna [SBS-MVP] on
Joe
thank you very much for sharing excellent information. this is what this
community is built on.

and in your specific case, one of those reasons we really don't like inplace
upgrades.

--
Cris Hanna [SBS-MVP]
Please do not contact me directly regarding issues

From: SJ on
Sorry to bother everyone, we are having a very simular issue, but no DNS
servers are listed there. Should I add the correct DNS server to test? We
are having a terrible time with VERY slow email (and most won't leave). I
can't seem to get my hands on this.

Thanks a MILLION.

SJ