From: Geoff Schaller on
You will recall that I have been entreating the remaining VO community
with new classes and features that I believe should have been added to
VO years ago. I am using C# to access vast class resources and sample
libraries to add to VO via COM a range of things I find useful. Here is
my latest offering:

* New features this version: ACTIVE DIRECTORY CLASSES

A quick summary of features to V1.3.3 include:

.. Email classes independent of outlook
.. Bulk email facility
.. Outlook integration classes (reminders, email, appointments and
tasks)
.. Complete error handler with emailing screen shots and report
.. Remote message logger to track of your clients actions/events and
apps
.. Reporting services integration (RDLC integration coming in V1.5.0)

New features for Active Directory in V1.4.0:

.. Bind an administrator to an Organisational Unit (OU)
.. Get all user properties from Active Directory
.. Enumerate, add, edit and delete groups in your OU
.. Enumerate, add, edit, delete users from any group
.. Add, edit or delete users
.. Set any user property

What is this good for? Well mainly for employing domain groups for
security usage within your application. I use it prevent certain AD
groups from accessing certain windows or functionality. The same AD
groups are then used to secure objects in their file system and in
SharePoint. Makes access unified. Other uses include giving the user an
option to set or reset their own password (think Remote Desktop
applications here - Joe) or an admin console to control your users
access or passwords. You could easily make a company telephone list.
Here are some things you need to know to use it:

1. It uses bBrowser so you need to add your copy reference to the exe
libs.
2. You need to know a domain admin user to use as the administrative
access for certain functionality.
3. You need a base domain server address: mydomain.local or similar
4. you need a base Distinguished Name (DN) LDAP address like
OU=Office,DC=Boronia,DC=Local

The way it works is to enumerate on and below this base DN. You should
create your own OU to work from and so contain everything in one area.
This also makes group policy a lot easier to manage.

You can get the latest version of VO source code and COM dll's from the
following location:

ftp://www.softwareobjectives.com.au/anonymous/so.service.client.zip
(2.3MB)

Regards,