From: Russ Sherlock on
Having now installed SP3 for Office, Powerpoint only allows you to open 50
presentations before
requiring you to logout and and back in.

Someone is not freeing resources when closing the presentation?

From: Steve Rindsberg on
In article <47838dbb$0$507$5a6aecb4(a)news.aaisp.net.uk>, Russ Sherlock wrote:
> Having now installed SP3 for Office, Powerpoint only allows you to open 50
> presentations before
> requiring you to logout and and back in.
>
> Someone is not freeing resources when closing the presentation?

This happens even though you close each presentation before opening the next?
In other words, it's not a case of running out of resources because >50
presentations are open at once?

What happens when you try to open the 51st and subsequent presentations?

Do you get error messages (if so, what do they say)?

Steve Rindsberg, PPT MVP
PPT FAQ: www.pptfaq.com
PPTools: www.pptools.com

From: Russ Sherlock on
I open 10 presentations at the same time and close them.
I open *another* 10 and close them - repeat until...
Once the number has exceeded 50 the following behavior occurs.
E.g. select 10, right click, click show.
The cursor flickers 10 times as though loading the 10 documents
Nothing appears. (no error message either) I.e. Powerpoint fails to run.
Click a single presentation - nothing
Log Out
Login for another 50. (problem only existed after applying SP3) I
regularly
used to click show on 400 selected presentations.

From: Steve Rindsberg on
Thanks for the add'l detail, Russ.

I've left SP3 on the shelf for now so can't test it myself, but I've passed
this information along to a contact at MS.

I wonder if someone else who has SP3 installed would be willing to test this
and let us know if they see the same behavior.

From: Lucy Thomson on
Hi Russ & Steve

I have SP3 installed and haven't been able to recreate the problem. I opened
about 70 ppts in batches of 10 and experienced no problems. I'm on a
non-networked XP machine. What is your platform?

Lucy
--
PowerPoint MVP
MOS Master Instructor