From: Henry on
I'm running WinXP Pro SP2 on a Dell Dimension 3 GHz machine with 2 Gig
of RAM.

I have only heard bad things from people I know who tried to install
SP3 and on newsgroups. It seems that one of three things will happen.

1. Everything will go well and it will work OK. (Seldom)

2. It will seem to go well for some period of time and then something
happens and your computer gets screwed up.

3. It will not install correctly and your computer gets screwed up.

With the last two, a clean re-install of WinXP is required to get back
running.

With my luck with updates, one of the last two will occur.

Since support for SP2 is ending shortly, I need advice.

Signed Scared

Henry
From: Bruce Hagen on

"Henry" <wa0goz(a)arrl.net> wrote in message
> I'm running WinXP Pro SP2 on a Dell Dimension 3 GHz machine with 2 Gig
> of RAM.
>
> I have only heard bad things from people I know who tried to install SP3
> and on newsgroups. It seems that one of three things will happen.
>
> 1. Everything will go well and it will work OK. (Seldom)
>
> 2. It will seem to go well for some period of time and then something
> happens and your computer gets screwed up.
>
> 3. It will not install correctly and your computer gets screwed up.
>
> With the last two, a clean re-install of WinXP is required to get back
> running.
>
> With my luck with updates, one of the last two will occur.
>
> Since support for SP2 is ending shortly, I need advice.
>
> Signed Scared
>
> Henry

1: Not seldom.
2: Seldom.
3: Seldom.

Steps to take before you install Windows XP Service Pack 3:
http://support.microsoft.com:80/kb/950717

http://msmvps.com/blogs/harrywaldron/archive/2008/05/08/windows-xp-sp3-read-all-prerequisites-for-a-successful-installation.aspx

Release Notes for Windows XP Service Pack 3
http://download.microsoft.com/download/c/d/8/cd8cc719-7d5a-40d3-a802-e4057aa8c631/relnotes.htm

Download Windows XP Service Pack 3 here. Do not use Windows updates.
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=5B33B5A8-5E76-401F-BE08-1E1555D4F3D4&displaylang=en

Before you install, turn off your anti-virus and any anti-spyware programs
such as Windows Defender. If you use a third party firewall, disable it
and turn on the Windows Firewall in the Control Panel for the
installation. Once SP3 is in and working, you can enable the third party
firewall and turn off the Windows Firewall. Do not keep both running.
--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP [Mail]

From: Paul on
Henry wrote:
> I'm running WinXP Pro SP2 on a Dell Dimension 3 GHz machine with 2 Gig
> of RAM.
>
> I have only heard bad things from people I know who tried to install SP3
> and on newsgroups. It seems that one of three things will happen.
>
> 1. Everything will go well and it will work OK. (Seldom)
>
> 2. It will seem to go well for some period of time and then something
> happens and your computer gets screwed up.
>
> 3. It will not install correctly and your computer gets screwed up.
>
> With the last two, a clean re-install of WinXP is required to get back
> running.
>
> With my luck with updates, one of the last two will occur.
>
> Since support for SP2 is ending shortly, I need advice.
>
> Signed Scared
>
> Henry

If you have good backup software, and room on a spare disk
for a backup, then you shouldn't have any immediate worries.
As long as your backup software has "bare metal" capabilities,
like its own boot CD, then you should be able to put your C:
back exactly as it was. That should take care of most of the
worries about trashing C: with SP3.

Paul
From: Jerry Ed on
I have a Dell 380 workstation with WinXP Pro, 3.2 GHz,
1 Gig ram, 15000 rpm Cheetah, IE7, NOD32, Windows Firewall.

Two years ago I installed SP3.

The only problem I had was "Service Pack 3 setup error. Service Pack
installation did not complete ".
The following Microsoft Support page is what I used to solve the problem.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949377

Under MORE INFORMATION, I checked the svcpack.log and found
"DoRegistryUpdates failed".

Under ADVANCED TROUBLESHOOTING, I did the "Let me fix it myself".
(Starts with downloading Subinacl.exe).
It took about 6 minutes for Reset.cmd to run.

JE

From: Big_Al on
Henry said this on 7/1/2010 12:33 AM:
> I'm running WinXP Pro SP2 on a Dell Dimension 3 GHz machine with 2 Gig
> of RAM.
>
> I have only heard bad things from people I know who tried to install SP3
> and on newsgroups. It seems that one of three things will happen.
>
> 1. Everything will go well and it will work OK. (Seldom)
>
> 2. It will seem to go well for some period of time and then something
> happens and your computer gets screwed up.
>
> 3. It will not install correctly and your computer gets screwed up.
>
> With the last two, a clean re-install of WinXP is required to get back
> running.
>
> With my luck with updates, one of the last two will occur.
>
> Since support for SP2 is ending shortly, I need advice.
>
> Signed Scared
>
> Henry

You only hear about the troubles. The millions of users that did it
and it worked, you don't hear about. I have 3 PC's and all were
upgraded fine.

Some basic help: Download the update and run it manually rather than
thru MS updates. Turn off AV software that might conflict with
writing files. And make a backup with something like Acronis True
Image that allows you to reset the system back to current settings. I
think someone else mentioned that, and its a fabulous fallback and
security blanket.