From: Michael on
April 21, 2008

--

"Don't pick a fight with an old man.

From: Bruce Hagen on

"Bobbi" <bobbi(a)example.invalid> wrote in message
> Thanks, occam. Do you know when SP3 was released?

SP3 went RTM, April 21, 2008 and released to the public on May 6, 2008.

Steps to take before you install Windows XP Service Pack 3:
http://support.microsoft.com:80/kb/950717

http://msmvps.com/blogs/harrywaldron/archive/2008/05/08/windows-xp-sp3-read-all-prerequisites-for-a-successful-installation.aspx

Release Notes for Windows XP Service Pack 3
http://download.microsoft.com/download/c/d/8/cd8cc719-7d5a-40d3-a802-e4057aa8c631/relnotes.htm

Download Windows XP Service Pack 3 here, not from Windows Updates
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=5B33B5A8-5E76-401F-BE08-1E1555D4F3D4&displaylang=en
--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP [Mail]

From: Bobbi on
Thanks, Bruce, for what appear to be really good tips! I'll check them out
carefully.
(I've been in Imperial Beach. Did a few duathlons (running/biking events)
there many years ago.)
-Bobbi

From: LD5SZRA on
Yes SP3 will include all updates up and including when SP3 was
released. I suggest do a clean install before installing SP3
because there might be some hidden malwares that you may not know
of and so it is better to be safe than sorry. After installing
SP3, there is no need to have any updates because they will only
slow down your system However, your Windows firewall should be
configured so that "No exceptions are allowed".

I am sure you know about MSE so I won't mention it here.

hth

--
THE INFORMATION IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY
KIND. LD5SZRA DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES, EITHER EXPRESSED OR

Copyright LD5SZRA 2010.
From: LD5SZRA on

DL wrote:

> Run MSUpdate and see what critical updates are offered, you may need to
> repeat the process several times

Complete and utter rubbish from a jobless nutter.