From: Roger on
Anyone know about FO transceivers?

The Finisar (and other SFP/SFP+ FOTs come in particular frequencies) - e.g.
8.5Gbps for the FTLF8528P2BNV. Can these parts still be used for lower
frequencies, say 6.5Gbps for Xilinx GTP RocketIO links please?

Has anyone any proven solutions of using a FOT for 6.5Gbps RIO links?

Thanks.

From: John McCaskill on
On Jul 7, 8:04 am, "Roger" <rogerwil...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
> Anyone know about FO transceivers?
>
> The Finisar (and other SFP/SFP+ FOTs come in particular frequencies) - e.g.
> 8.5Gbps for the FTLF8528P2BNV. Can these parts still be used for lower
> frequencies, say 6.5Gbps for Xilinx GTP RocketIO links please?
>
> Has anyone any proven solutions of using a FOT for 6.5Gbps RIO links?
>
> Thanks.

Hello Roger,

While I have not tried that specific module, we have several products
that use SFP and SFP+, and my experience is that the optical modules
are quite happy to run at lower speeds. I don't know how low they will
go, but many of them are rated at multiple rates, ie 2 and 4 Gbs or 4
and 8Gbs.

You can use ChipScope Pro and the IBERT tool to try out a specific SFP
+ module quickly. If you have the ML605 development board, there are
reference designs and documentation that describe how to do this. It
also has one SFP connector on it. The ML605 has the slowest speed
grade part on it that is only rated at 5 Gbs, but we used an ML605,
IBERT, and one of these : http://www.fastertechnology.com/fmc.html to
get four lanes running at over 7 Gbs.

Regards,

John McCaskill
www.FasterTechnology.com
From: Roger on

"John McCaskill" <jhmccaskill(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> On Jul 7, 8:04 am, "Roger" <rogerwil...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
>> Anyone know about FO transceivers?
>>
>> The Finisar (and other SFP/SFP+ FOTs come in particular frequencies) -
>> e.g.
>> 8.5Gbps for the FTLF8528P2BNV. Can these parts still be used for lower
>> frequencies, say 6.5Gbps for Xilinx GTP RocketIO links please?
>>
>> Has anyone any proven solutions of using a FOT for 6.5Gbps RIO links?
>>
>> Thanks.
>

> Hello Roger,
>
> While I have not tried that specific module, we have several products
> that use SFP and SFP+, and my experience is that the optical modules
> are quite happy to run at lower speeds. I don't know how low they will
> go, but many of them are rated at multiple rates, ie 2 and 4 Gbs or 4
> and 8Gbs.
>
> You can use ChipScope Pro and the IBERT tool to try out a specific SFP
> + module quickly. If you have the ML605 development board, there are
> reference designs and documentation that describe how to do this. It
> also has one SFP connector on it. The ML605 has the slowest speed
> grade part on it that is only rated at 5 Gbs, but we used an ML605,
> IBERT, and one of these : http://www.fastertechnology.com/fmc.html to
> get four lanes running at over 7 Gbs.
>

> Regards,
>
> John McCaskill
> www.FasterTechnology.com

John,

Thanks for your reply. You've provided some good information which I'll look
into.

Roger.