From: Scott MacLean on
Hi,
Most of our customers access our application via remote desktop. the
connection automatically runs our application when they log in. But we have
noticed with Windows 2003 X64 edition, when they exit the application the
session either doesnt log off or can take minutes to come out.
Is there anyway we can kill this process immedietely after the application
has closed? I've searched the internet and havent found any real answers.
Your help would be most appreciated.
Scott
From: Vera Noest [MVP] on
The cause for this problem is a process which is still running in
the session, preventing it from closing and logging off.

To solve the problem, open a connection to the Terminal Server and
check in Task manager which process is keeping the session from
closing. Some anti-virus applications are known to cause this
behaviour.
For a list of known processes which cause this behaviour, check:

CTX891671 - Graceful Logoff from a Published Application Keeps
Sessions in Active State
http://support.citrix.com/article/CTX891671

If you are running native Terminal Services without Citrix, you can
still use the method described in the "Resolution" section of the
Citrix article, albeit with another registry entry. Windows
Terminal Services keeps its list of system processes in the
following location in the registry:

HKLM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Terminal Server\SysProcs

If you have identified the process which keeps the session from
logging off, you can create a new REG_DWORD value under the
SysProcs key, with the name of the process as the value name.
Vera Noest
TS troubleshooting: http://ts.veranoest.net
___ please respond in newsgroup, NOT by private email ___

=?Utf-8?B?U2NvdHQgTWFjTGVhbg==?=
<ScottMacLean(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote on 20 nov 2007 in
microsoft.public.windows.terminal_services:

From: Scott MacLean on
Many thanks for the response.
It seems to be the userinit.exe process that is hanging. When I add this to
the registry it doesnt allow users to log in.
there doesnt seem to be any exe's that our application uses left in task
manager. But as soon as I end userinit.exe it logs off the session

From: Vera Noest [MVP] on
Are there any warnings or errors in the EventLog on the server when
this happens?
If you see profile unload errors, the normal advice would be to
install the UPHClean utility, but unfortunately, the normal version
doesn't run on 64-bit systems. There's a beta version for 64-bit,
has been in beta for many years, I believe. If you have profile
unload errors and want to try the beta version of UPHClean for 64-
bit, then you would need to ring Microsoft Support.

You could also temporarily enable verbose logging, to try and find
out what userinit is doing that takes so long:

221833 - How to enable user environment debug logging in retail
builds of Windows
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=221833
Vera Noest
TS troubleshooting: http://ts.veranoest.net
___ please respond in newsgroup, NOT by private email ___

=?Utf-8?B?U2NvdHQgTWFjTGVhbg==?=
<ScottMacLean(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote on 21 nov 2007 in