From: Sarah W on
Hello,

After installing SPS SP2 in a ?load balance? environment, the ?search? is
not working.
How could it be solved?

Thanks
Sarah
From: Steve Smith on
The first thing I would do is make sure the index's have been updated from
the last crawl. Do your gather logs show any errors for the portal or non
portal content ? secondly I would check the Index's have propogated. In
central Admin - Manage Search you can see the status of the index files sent
to the search server. It should say complete with a date stamp. if not try
forcing a propogation to the search servers. Beware this could force big
files going across your Lan from the Index server to the search servers and
could take a while to complete depending on how big and how fast your lan
connections are.

Steve Smith
www.combined-knowledge.com
UK Sharepoint Training

From: Sarah W on

1-Do your gather logs show any errors for the portal or non
portal content ?

error 1: The document was only partially crawled because it is too large,
or the filtered size exceeded the MaxGrowFactor limit. The document was
truncated and some words or terms used in the document may not be available.

Error 2: The address could not be found, (0x80042404 - A document
IFilter cannot be initialized. The document or IFilter may contain errors. )

2-Both Portal contents and non_portal contents propagation failed.
The enforced propagation failed too!

The event viewer contains this message:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Microsoft SharePointPS Search Service
Event Category: Content index server
Event ID: 7051
Date: 2/28/2006
Time: 5:00:27 PM
User: N/A
Computer: HPW2K3POESPS01
Index propagation to search server <HPW2K3POEWB01 (IP 10.70.21.54)> was not
accepted.

Context: http://alahlinet/ Application, Portal_Content Catalog

Details:
The content index server cannot update or access information
because of a database error. Stop and restart the search service. If the
problem persists, reset and recrawl the content index. In some cases it may
be necessary to delete and recreate the content index. (0x8004117f)
waiting for your reply

Thanks alot

From: Steve Smith on
Ok so the first error regarding file size is a know bug , this should help
you
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistance/HA011648411033.aspx

The second error regarding an Ifilter may be because you are trying to index
a file type that Sharepoint cannot open such as a pdf or autocad drawing. In
order to have sharepoint crawl these documents you need to install the
appropriate ifilter from the suplliers web site. So on adobes web site you
can download the ifilter for pdf's and the setup file as well. in your case
on a medium farm it will need to be on the Index server and SQL server if
you want to index the SQL full text index's as well ( search on local sites
for pdf's on that site )

The third error is telling you to restart the MSsearch service via Admin
Tools - Services and then try a force propogation again. I would restart the
mssearch service on the index server first and then on the web fron end as
well just to be sure before trying the propogation.

Steve Smith
www.combined-knowledge.com

From: Sarah W on
I increased the keys at the registry and restarted the search service in the
required order, but I sill do not have any documents processed:

In the site settings > configure search settings > Number of processed
documents = 0

And even updating the content sources then the indexes is not showing any
progress!

Please advice.