From: Paul Pedersen on
When trying to connect to a SQL Server 2005 instance using "SQL Native
Client", I get this message:

[Microsoft][SQL Native Client]Unable to complete login process due to delay
in opening server connection

If I use the "SQL Server" driver instead, it works fine. Anyone have an idea
what's wrong? Or should I just abandon the native driver?

From: Erland Sommarskog on
Paul Pedersen (nospam(a)no.spam) writes:
> When trying to connect to a SQL Server 2005 instance using "SQL Native
> Client", I get this message:
>
> [Microsoft][SQL Native Client]Unable to complete login process due to
> delay in opening server connection
>

> If I use the "SQL Server" driver instead, it works fine. Anyone have an
> idea what's wrong? Or should I just abandon the native driver?

Interesting. I can't recall I've heard about a situation where one
driver works, but a different version of the same driver does not.

The error message indicates a network problem. And if you only tested
this once, it might have been a temporary glitch. If it is repeatable,
it could be that SQL Native Client gives up just a little earlier.

You could try increasing the connection timeout, which I believe is a
connection-string property, and see if it helps.

Since you will not have access to all features in SQL Server if you use
the old driver, there is certainly reason to use SQL Native Client if
possible. Then again, it depends in which context you use ODBC.

Links for SQL Server Books Online:

From: Paul Pedersen on

"Erland Sommarskog" <esquel(a)sommarskog.se> wrote in message
> Interesting. I can't recall I've heard about a situation where one
> driver works, but a different version of the same driver does not.
>
> The error message indicates a network problem. And if you only tested
> this once, it might have been a temporary glitch. If it is repeatable,
> it could be that SQL Native Client gives up just a little earlier.

I tried it several times, same result each time.

> You could try increasing the connection timeout, which I believe is a
> connection-string property, and see if it helps.

I'll try that. But it seems unlikely. The old driver always connects
instantly, while the native client tries for maybe 20 seconds before giving
up.

> Since you will not have access to all features in SQL Server if you use
> the old driver, there is certainly reason to use SQL Native Client if
> possible.

I've heard that before, but no one was specific about which features are
unavailable without the native client. Can you enlighten me?

From: Erland Sommarskog on
Paul Pedersen (nospam(a)no.spam) writes:
> I've heard that before, but no one was specific about which features are
> unavailable without the native client. Can you enlighten me?

The XML data type. Full support for the MAX data types. MARS. Failover for
mirroring. CLR UDTs.

There may be more. But it also depends on the context where you use the
ODBC driver. If you use something that sits on top of ODBC, and which does
not support the new data types and features, this is not much of an issue
to you.

Links for SQL Server Books Online: