From: Erland Sommarskog on
Zee Aay (viol-8-r(a)hotmail.com) writes:
> Please find here below both messages when I type sqlcmd and sqlcms -U
> sa -P xxxxxx

I don't need to know the password. :-)

> C:\>sqlcmd
> HResult 0x274D, Level 16, State 1
> TCP Provider: No connection could be made because the target machine
> actively re fused it.
>
> Sqlcmd: Error: Microsoft SQL Server Native Client 10.0 : A
> network-related or in stance-specific error has occurred while
> establishing a connection to SQL Server . Server is not found or not
> accessible. Check if instance name is correct and i f SQL Server is
> configured to allow remote connections. For more information see
> SQL Server Books Online..

OK, so these errors are networking problems, which means that whatever
you have granted in SQL Server is no of importance. You never come that
far.

But it's unusual to get them when SQL Server runs on the same machine.

Did you enable TCP/IP for SQL Server? Please open SQL Server Configuration
Manager, and open the node SQL Server Network Configuration and then
"Protocols for MSSQLServer", and list what you see. My guess is that
you will see this:

Shared Memory Enabled
Named Pipes Disabled
TCP/IP Disabled
VIA Disabled

If this is correct, you could resolve the issue by enabling TCP/IP and
then restart SQL Server. But it is not really the right answer, because
since you are on the same machine, communication should go over
Shared Memory. Why this does not happen, I have no idea, but if it would
happen to me, I would try to reboot the computer. :-)

Links for SQL Server Books Online:

From: Zee Aay on
Erland,
Yes, you are right I did enable TCP/IP and rebooted and it is working now.
Thanks a billion,
Regards,