From: Zee Aay on
Hello,
I have SQL 2008 R 180 installed as default instance on my laptop.
Access is mixed mode
When I log into my laptop as administrator, I can login using sa without any
problem

But when I login as a different User ( with admin rights) , SSMS does not
let me log in using sa or Windows authentication.

Any idea why would this be an issue

From: Erland Sommarskog on
Zee Aay (viol-8-r(a)hotmail.com) writes:
> I have SQL 2008 R 180 installed as default instance on my laptop.
> Access is mixed mode
> When I log into my laptop as administrator, I can login using sa without
> any problem
>
> But when I login as a different User ( with admin rights) , SSMS does not
> let me log in using sa or Windows authentication.
>
> Any idea why would this be an issue

Obviously, if you are logged into windows as MACHINE\OTHERUSER, to be
able to log in with Windows authentication, MACHINE\OTHERUSER must
have been granted access to SQL Server, either directly or through a
Windows group. Have you done this?

On the other hand, you should always be able to log as in sa, no matter
how you have logged into Windows.

Links for SQL Server Books Online:

From: Zee Aay on
Hi Erland,
This is why I am concerned.
One, why it is not letting me to log in as 'sa' whereas it should and must
but it does not
Second, Yes, I have granted the other User access to SQL; even more then
what it is required, just to let him in atleast once.

From: Erland Sommarskog on
Zee Aay (viol-8-r(a)hotmail.com) writes:
> This is why I am concerned.
> One, why it is not letting me to log in as 'sa' whereas it should and must
> but it does not
> Second, Yes, I have granted the other User access to SQL; even more then
> what it is required, just to let him in atleast once.

When logged in as the other user, run this from a command line:

sqlcmd
sqlcmd -U sa -P yourpasswordhere

Post the error messages. Also look up the SQL Server error and post the
error message for the login failures in this log.

Links for SQL Server Books Online:

From: Zee Aay on
Hi Erland,
Please find here below both messages when I type sqlcmd and sqlcms -U sa -P
Hashaum95

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7600]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7600]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\>sqlcmd
HResult 0x274D, Level 16, State 1
TCP Provider: No connection could be made because the target machine
actively re
fused it.

Sqlcmd: Error: Microsoft SQL Server Native Client 10.0 : A network-related
or in
stance-specific error has occurred while establishing a connection to SQL
Server
.. Server is not found or not accessible. Check if instance name is correct
and i
f SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. For more information
see
SQL Server Books Online..
Sqlcmd: Error: Microsoft SQL Server Native Client 10.0 : Login timeout
expired.

C:\>

> Zee Aay (viol-8-r(a)hotmail.com) writes:
>> This is why I am concerned.
>> One, why it is not letting me to log in as 'sa' whereas it should and
>> must
>> but it does not
>> Second, Yes, I have granted the other User access to SQL; even more then
>> what it is required, just to let him in atleast once.

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7600]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\sarshad>cd..

C:\Users>cd..

C:\>sqlcmd
HResult 0x274D, Level 16, State 1
TCP Provider: No connection could be made because the target machine
actively re
fused it.

Sqlcmd: Error: Microsoft SQL Server Native Client 10.0 : A network-related
or in
stance-specific error has occurred while establishing a connection to SQL
Server
.. Server is not found or not accessible. Check if instance name is correct
and i
f SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. For more information
see
SQL Server Books Online..
Sqlcmd: Error: Microsoft SQL Server Native Client 10.0 : Login timeout
expired.

C:\>sqlcmd -U sa -P Hashaum95