From: David on
I'm using Access 97.

I've entered the following SQL Query into the Query Tab.

===================

SELECT * FROM tblVehicles WHERE fldVehicleTag = ABC123;

====================

When I double click the Query to execute:

Instead of returning the recordset Access prompts me for
a Parameter. When I enter the tag # --> ABC123
it returns the correct record.

Why am I being prompted for a Parameter and how do I stop it?

Thanks
David

From: John W. Vinson on
On Wed, 17 Mar 2010 22:25:13 -0400, "David" <NoWhere(a)earthlink.net> wrote:

>I'm using Access 97.
>
>I've entered the following SQL Query into the Query Tab.
>
>===================
>
>SELECT * FROM tblVehicles WHERE fldVehicleTag = ABC123;
>
>====================
>
>When I double click the Query to execute:
>
>Instead of returning the recordset Access prompts me for
>a Parameter. When I enter the tag # --> ABC123
>it returns the correct record.
>
>Why am I being prompted for a Parameter and how do I stop it?
>
>Thanks
>David

You need quotemarks around the text criterion:

SELECT * FROM tblVehicles WHERE fldVehicleTag = 'ABC123';

Criteria on Text fields must be delimited by ' or "; Date/Time fields must be
delimited by # (for date literals); Number or Currency fields use no
delimiter.

--

John W. Vinson [MVP]
From: David on
Thanks Mr. Vinson -- Worked GREAT!

One other followup. Instead of SQL, I tried Access's
Query Designer (hope I have this name correct).
I entered the test Tag Number under Criteria.

Of interest, is that the Query returned the correct record
but with the fldVehicleTag column in the first position.
Anyone to replicate this in SQL or is this a field "reorder" function
that is part of Access?

From: John W. Vinson on
On Wed, 17 Mar 2010 23:07:26 -0400, "David" <NoWhere(a)earthlink.net> wrote:

>Thanks Mr. Vinson -- Worked GREAT!
>
>One other followup. Instead of SQL, I tried Access's
>Query Designer (hope I have this name correct).
>I entered the test Tag Number under Criteria.

The query grid is simply a tool to construct SQL. The SQL is a) the real
query, and b) much easier to post and discuss on newsgroups.

>Of interest, is that the Query returned the correct record
>but with the fldVehicleTag column in the first position.
>Anyone to replicate this in SQL or is this a field "reorder" function
>that is part of Access?

The order of columns in the query grid should match the order of fieldnames in
the SQL SELECT clause, and should also control the order in which the fields
appear in the query grid. I'm not aware of any automagical reordering!
--

John W. Vinson [MVP]
From: David on
Thank you for your time.