From: Fraz on
There is a server with Windows 2008 Standard 64-bit having SQL Server 2008
Standard 64-bit already there running well. Now there is an application that
currently supports SQL 2008 32-bit so we are planning to install SQL Server
2008 32-bit as second instance. Is this supported or going to cause any
problem. Your response is appreciated.
From: Erland Sommarskog on
Fraz (Fraz(a)discussions.microsoft.com) writes:
> There is a server with Windows 2008 Standard 64-bit having SQL Server
> 2008 Standard 64-bit already there running well. Now there is an
> application that currently supports SQL 2008 32-bit so we are planning
> to install SQL Server 2008 32-bit as second instance. Is this supported
> or going to cause any problem. Your response is appreciated.

You can run SQL Server 32-bit on Windows 64-bit.

What you should have in mind is that unless you take precautions, the
two instances may fight on resources. You should cap memory on both
instances, and you may also want to set CPU affinity.

But you should also investigate whether the application really needs
32-bit SQL Server. Normally, you can move an application from 32-bit
SQL Server to 64-bit without problems, but there are a few exceptions:
o the application uses extended stored procedures that are 32-bit
only.
o the application uses sp_OAxxxx to access COM objects that are 32-bit
only.
o the application requires a linked server to a data source for which
there is no 64-bit provider.

Links for SQL Server Books Online: