From: tom12010 on
We have several different SQL Server versions in our datacenter, with
SQL Native Client 9.00.1399.06 on our Citrix servers.

The above SQL Native Client goes with our Great Plains app client,
it's possible we will have a new, higher-level SQL Native Client
installed by another application client...

Can different Native Clients exist on the same server, can newer
Native Clients accommodate older SQL Server versions and
applications???

Issues or 'gotchas' I should know about??

Thank you, Tom
From: Erland Sommarskog on
tom12010 (tlyczko(a)gmail.com) writes:
> We have several different SQL Server versions in our datacenter, with
> SQL Native Client 9.00.1399.06 on our Citrix servers.
>
> The above SQL Native Client goes with our Great Plains app client,
> it's possible we will have a new, higher-level SQL Native Client
> installed by another application client...
>
> Can different Native Clients exist on the same server,

Yes.

> can newer Native Clients accommodate older SQL Server versions and
> applications???

Yes. With the one restriction that if you want to connect to
SQL 6.5, SQLOLEDB is your only option.

Note also that to use the new version of SQL Server Native Client, you need
to change your connection string.

Links for SQL Server Books Online:

From: tom12010 on
Later I found this:

"Microsoft SQL Server Native Client 10.0 is installed when you install
SQL Server 2008 R2 or the SQL Server tools. If the SQL Server 2005
version of SQL Server Native Client is also installed on the computer,
SQL Server Native Client 10.0 will be installed side-by-side with the
earlier version. SQL Server 2008 R2 Native Client will overwrite SQL
Server 2008 Native Client."

Thank you, Tom