From: Hari Seldon on
Our server team recently migrated all of our user accounts and servers from
one domain to another domain that's configured using Active Directory. Since
then, my SQL Server 2005 service will no longer startup. I tried resetting
the service logon account using the SQL Server Configuration Manager so that
it would properly update all of the account's permissions. I entered the
account name and password and when I click <OK> I receive the following
error:

"WMI Provider Error [call to WMI Provider returned error code: 0x800742a2] "

Even though I receive that error, it saves the new account information.
Then when I try to start the service, I get this error:

"The request failed or the service did not respond in a timely fashion.
Consult the event log or other applicable error logs for details."

When I look in the system log in Event Viewer, the error says:

"The SQL Server (MSSQLSERVER) service terminated with service-specific error
17058 (0x42A2)."

I've checked to make sure that the service account has the right to logon as
a service, has access rights to all of the SQL Server application and data
directories and has full control over these two registry keys and all subkeys:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MSSQLServer

I have two other SQL Server 2000 servers that are using the same domain
account as the service logon account and they are working fine.

This server is running Windows Server 2003 x64 and this is the Enterprise
Edition of SQL Server 2005 x64. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Hari