From: John on
I have a SQL 2008 x64 Standard server with 16GB of memory. The database on
this server is using almost of of this memory. The database is 35GB. The
consultant supporting this server thinks this is wrong. I figure if SQL
needs the memory and it's available, then it should use it. Is there an
issue using this much memory?

Thanks,

John

From: Erland Sommarskog on
John (bsmith(a)aol.com) writes:
> I have a SQL 2008 x64 Standard server with 16GB of memory. The database
> on this server is using almost of of this memory. The database is 35GB.
> The consultant supporting this server thinks this is wrong. I figure
> if SQL needs the memory and it's available, then it should use it. Is
> there an issue using this much memory?

No. The only advice is that it can be a good idea to set "max server
memory" to 12 or 13 GB, to avoid that SQL Server competes with the OS.

SQL Server uses the memory for the buffer cache. It's a lot faster to
read from memory than reading from disk. If and your box can fit it,
it can be well-spent money to increase the memory to 40 GB, as then
the entire database could fit into memory.

Links for SQL Server Books Online:

From: John on
Thanks for the info. I'll look into upgrading the memory. I see that the
consultant set the max memory to 14GB yesterday. That doesn't leave much
room for the OS.

John