From: yitiana on

Bria wrote:

SQL password help
10-May-07

Hello,

We are running into a problem where the sqlsrvr.exe process is using over
1GB of memory. This is causing performance issues on the server. I've come
across a site that suggests adjusting the max/min memory usage settings on
SQL. My problem seems to be that we do not know what the SA password is to
do these adjustments. Does anyone know a way to reset the SA password on SQL
server for Small Business Server 2003?

Side note: anyone else experiencing the high memory usage of sqlsrvr.exe
process? If so, what have you done about it? Rebooting the server seems to
help, but the high usage creeps up after a few days.

Thanks in advance ...Brian

On Thursday, May 10, 2007 4:05 PM
Bria wrote:

SQL password help
Hello,

We are running into a problem where the sqlsrvr.exe process is using over
1GB of memory. This is causing performance issues on the server. I've come
across a site that suggests adjusting the max/min memory usage settings on
SQL. My problem seems to be that we do not know what the SA password is to
do these adjustments. Does anyone know a way to reset the SA password on SQL
server for Small Business Server 2003?

Side note: anyone else experiencing the high memory usage of sqlsrvr.exe
process? If so, what have you done about it? Rebooting the server seems to
help, but the high usage creeps up after a few days.

Thanks in advance ...Brian

On Thursday, May 10, 2007 4:19 PM
Bria wrote:

RE: SQL password help
Sorry, I meant sqlservr.exe.

"Brian" wrote:

On Thursday, May 10, 2007 4:22 PM
Dave Nickason [SBS MVP] wrote:

You can change the SA password in SQL Management Studio, but you shouldn't
You can change the SA password in SQL Management Studio, but you shouldn't
have to, and you shouldn't need the SA password to throttle the RAM usage.
Your SQL instances are probably using Windows auth anyway. To throttle the
memory usage of the SQL instances, see
http://msmvps.com:80/blogs/bradley/archive/2005/02/04/34984.aspx.

SQL normally grabs up all the memory it can get its hands on, similar to
Exchange. That's why it's temporarily remedied by a reboot - it takes a
while for it to get back up to speed.

"Brian" <Brian(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

On Thursday, May 10, 2007 6:15 PM
Leythos wrote:

Re: SQL password help
On Thu, 10 May 2007 13:05:02 -0700, Brian wrote:

Your real problem is not SQL, that's standard, it would appear you don't
have enough base memory in your server. If you have Exchange and SQL then
you need 3 - 4 GB for the server to be happy.

--
Leythos
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum.

On Friday, May 11, 2007 4:39 AM
bassplaye wrote:

You need sysadmin privileges to do this.
You need sysadmin privileges to do this. This is a default privilege for the
Builtin\Administrators which includes your domain and admins and the sa
account. You can use a domain admin account to reset your sa password as well
--
MCP MCDBA MCAD MCSD MCT MCTS MCITP:DBA
"Helping people grow and develop their full potential as God has plan for

"Brian" wrote:

Win a free Professional license of CodeSmith Generator 5.2!
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/32aeed64-8518-4bd0-9614-e82b5d3ab3a4/win-a-free-professional-license-of-codesmith-generator-52.aspx