From: John F. on
I have tried both SQL logins with sa permissions and then windows logins also
with sa permissions to both servers as well and I still get this message and
the Snapshot Agent won't start - any ideas?

Replication-Replication Snapshot Subsystem: agent NPRPROD-NPR-NPR-1 failed.
Unable to start execution of step 2 (reason: JobOwner flowersj doesn't have
permissions to use proxy 1 for subsystem Snapshot). The step failed.
--
John F.
From: Raymond Mak [MSFT] on
Hi John,

You may want to try the following to grant login 'flowersj' and the Snapshot
subsystem access to proxy id = 1(?):

use msdb
exec sp_grant_login_to_proxy @login_name = N'flowersj', @proxy_id = 1
exec sp_grant_proxy_to_subsystem @proxy_id = 1, @subsystem_name =
N'Snapshot'

If that works, I am sort of curious to know how your system got to the state
that it is currently in. It would be great if you can post some details on
the nature of the flowersj login, whether you are using a remote distributor
(snapshot jobs should be owned by distributor_admin), and which edition of
SQL Server you are using.

Thanks much.

-Raymond

From: John F. on
Thanks Raymond - I tried what you suggest above and get this -

'flowersj' is a member of sysadmin server role and cannot be granted to or
revoked from the proxy. Members of sysadmin server role are allowed to use
any proxy.
Msg 14531, Level 16, State 1, Procedure sp_grant_proxy_to_subsystem, Line 48
Permission to access proxy already granted. Verify current permissions
assignments.

all logins Ive used are 'sa' rights - as far as the replication goes its
just a simple snapshot scenario, pull subscription, distributor running on
the publisher, & Im trying to start the snapshot agent to get the initial
sync. We are on the RTM of SQL2005. Both servers in the same domain. Is
there a folder I should share or something? Any help is greatly appreciated
- thanks!
--
John F.

From: John F. on
now I'm getting this message, Raymond - I changed it back to the SQL login
adn re-ran your grant permissions -

Unable to start execution of step 2 (reason: Could not get proxy data for
proxy_id = 1). The step failed.
--
John F.

From: Raymond Mak [MSFT] on
This looks really strange, the original error message came from
SQLServerAgent which basically said 'flowersj' doesn't have access to the
proxy account that you have configured for the snapshot agent, yet
subsequent attempts to grant 'flowersj' access to the proxy account resulted
in errors which basically say 'flowersj' already has access (which is as it
should be). Is SQLServerAgent running under a low-privileged account (e.g.
NetworkService)? And are you running Win2K3 or Win2k(which may require
additional OS privilege to be granted to the proxy account)? Of course, if
nothing works, you can always run the snapshot agent executable outside of
SQL Server Agent but I am guessing that you want to have integrated
scheduling support provided by SQLServerAgent.