From: Vladimir M. Zakharychev on
On May 21, 7:03 pm, The Magnet <a...(a)unsu.com> wrote:
> On May 21, 9:40 am, "S. Anthony Sequeira" <nob...(a)127.0.0.1> wrote:
>

> > On 21/05/10 15:35, The Magnet wrote:
>
> > > This one has me going nuts.  We are using SQLLDR to load a data file.
> > > Certain records are getting kicked with an ORA-01438 (value larger
> > > than specified precision allowed for this column)
>
> > > Problem the column is a DATE:  price_date      date "MM/DD/YYYY",
>
> > > How do you get a precision with a date column??  The format is
> > > correct:  05/03/2010.
>
> > > It's a lot of data, so unless someone wants to see it, I will not post
> > > the record(s) and control file.  But again, strange error for a date
> > > column.  And, the fields/columns match up fine.
>
> > The controlfile would be useful + (at least some of) the bad file, and
> > relevant logfile snippets.  Also the sql*loader command line used.
>
> > Also your NLS settings on server and client
>
> > --
> > S. Anthony Sequeira
> > ++
> > Q:      What is purple and commutes?
> > A:      An Abelian grape.
> > ++
>
> Whatever, strange, weird.  I removed the decimal percition on the
> numeric columns, and wham, everything loaded.  Go figure.

Use explicit column data types in the control file:

PRICE FLOAT EXTERNAL,
PRICE_DATE DATE "MM/DD/YYYY",

If you do, loader should correctly parse the numerics.

Regards,
Vladimir M. Zakharychev
N-Networks, makers of Dynamic PSP(tm)
http://www.dynamicpsp.com
From: John Hurley on
Magnet:

# Whatever, strange, weird.  I removed the decimal percition on the
numeric columns, and wham, everything loaded.  Go figure.

What is a percition?

If you want to post and then solve things yourself fine. At least
think about using the courtesy of giving an example of what you were
doing originally and then how it was solved specifically.

From: ddf on
On May 22, 6:00 pm, John Hurley <hurleyjo...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> Magnet:
>
> # Whatever, strange, weird.  I removed the decimal percition on the
> numeric columns, and wham, everything loaded.  Go figure.
>
> What is a percition?
>
> If you want to post and then solve things yourself fine.  At least
> think about using the courtesy of giving an example of what you were
> doing originally and then how it was solved specifically.

Apparently you don't read the entire thread or you'd have seen he
posted all you asked for prior to his solution.

David Fitzjarrell
From: John Hurley on
DDF:

> > What is a percition?
>
> > If you want to post and then solve things yourself fine.  At least
> > think about using the courtesy of giving an example of what you were
> > doing originally and then how it was solved specifically.
>
> Apparently you don't read the entire thread or you'd have seen he
> posted all you asked for prior to his solution.

Aww so you know what a decimal percition is and how it was solved
specifically?

Please explain ... still unclear to me what changed and where ...