From: Quosek on
Hello
I've installed oracle-instantclient, oracle-skd and oracle-sqlplus.
everything works fine, except tnsnames...
a can connect to remote database using:

sqlplus
xx/xx@"(description=(address=(host=10.3.1.159)(protocol=tcp)(port=1521))(connect_data=(sid=DVLPBIS)))"

but I'm not able to use tnsnames.
I've created (ok - used my windows tnsnames) TNSNAMES.ORA as below:

DVLPBIS=(DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS_LIST=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)(HOST=10.3.1.159)(PORT=1521)))(CONNECT_DATA=(SERVICE_NAME=DVLPBIS)

set TNS_ADMIN to directory in which I have TNSNAMES.ORA

and I've got error: "ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve the connect
identifier specified" (sqlplus xx/xx(a)DVLPBIS)

what's going on ?

I've tried also setting ORACLE_HOME to /usr/lib/oracle/10.2.0.20/client
but then I get error:

SP2-1503: Unable to initialize Oracle call interface
SP2-0152: ORACLE may not be functioning properly

Has anyone any idea ?
And yes - I haven't got tnsping (it was not delivered it this 3 packages)

--
Pozdrawiam
Quosek
From: Sybrand Bakker on
On Sun, 09 Jul 2006 00:29:29 +0200, Quosek <qosek(a)o2.pl> wrote:

>DVLPBIS=(DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS_LIST=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)(HOST=10.3.1.159)(PORT=1521)))(CONNECT_DATA=(SERVICE_NAME=DVLPBIS)
>
>set TNS_ADMIN to directory in which I have TNSNAMES.ORA
>
>and I've got error: "ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve the connect
>identifier specified" (sqlplus xx/xx(a)DVLPBIS)
>
>what's going on ?

your connect string isn't correct, and this is why you are getting
ora-12154, as the connect string in your tnsnames.ora was skipped
while it was loaded.
You have too many ) after your port=1521 and too few ) after
service_name, there should be 3 in all there.
Use netca to correct the entry
and stop using hardcoded IP.

--
Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA
From: Quosek on
Sybrand Bakker napisa?(a):
> On Sun, 09 Jul 2006 00:29:29 +0200, Quosek <qosek(a)o2.pl> wrote:
>
>> DVLPBIS=(DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS_LIST=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)(HOST=10.3.1.159)(PORT=1521)))(CONNECT_DATA=(SERVICE_NAME=DVLPBIS)
>>
>> set TNS_ADMIN to directory in which I have TNSNAMES.ORA
>>
>> and I've got error: "ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve the connect
>> identifier specified" (sqlplus xx/xx(a)DVLPBIS)
>>
>> what's going on ?
>
> your connect string isn't correct, and this is why you are getting
> ora-12154, as the connect string in your tnsnames.ora was skipped
> while it was loaded.
> You have too many ) after your port=1521 and too few ) after
> service_name, there should be 3 in all there.

hmmm - it was strange - it worked in windows
I've changed it to:

DVLPBIS=
(DESCRIPTION=
(ADDRESS_LIST=
(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)(HOST=10.3.1.159)(PORT=1521)))
(CONNECT_DATA=(SID=DVLPBIS))
)

(or SERVICE_NAME=DVLPBIS) - and still it isn't working
while having set ORACLE_HOME all the time is this strange error - after
removing it still:

ERROR:
ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve the connect identifier specified

> and stop using hardcoded IP.

I cant - this connectoin is through vpn tunel, and there is problem with
name discovering

--
Pozdrawiam
Quosek
From: Quosek on
for me it's problem with visibility TNSNAMES.ORA.... (when i put whole
connection string in sqlplus command directly it's working - so it's now
not prolbem of the structure o TNSNAMES)

should this file by called TNSNAMES.ORA, or tsnames.ora ('ve tried both
of them)?
what about sqlnet.ora ? capital, or not ? now I've got in it:

NAMES.DIRECTORY_PATH=(TNSNAMES)
SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES= (NONE)

only TNS_ADMIN set to directory with tnsnames and sqlnet, or sth more ?

and why everighing is working under windows, and there are so big
problems with linux (and where is tnsping ??)

--
Pozdrawiam
Quosek
From: Sybrand Bakker on
On Sun, 09 Jul 2006 11:17:57 +0200, Quosek <qosek(a)o2.pl> wrote:

>for me it's problem with visibility TNSNAMES.ORA.... (when i put whole
>connection string in sqlplus command directly it's working - so it's now
>not prolbem of the structure o TNSNAMES)
>
>should this file by called TNSNAMES.ORA, or tsnames.ora ('ve tried both
>of them)?
>what about sqlnet.ora ? capital, or not ? now I've got in it:
>
>NAMES.DIRECTORY_PATH=(TNSNAMES)
>SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES= (NONE)
>
>only TNS_ADMIN set to directory with tnsnames and sqlnet, or sth more ?
>
>and why everighing is working under windows, and there are so big
>problems with linux (and where is tnsping ??)

the files should be called tnsnames.ora and sqlnet.ora (both
lowercase).
By now it is time to enable tracing. Apart from the fact this is
explained in the troubleshooting chapter of the net administrators
manual, I explained it at least a 1000 times in the oracle forums.

Answers to questions like this are documented.
Please don't waste people's time by asking doc questions.
The doc is online at http://tahiti.oracle.com

You seem to have (from the subject line of your initial post) an
exotic, and probably not certified and not supported Linux variant.
Windows is Windows is Windows is Windows.
There is no such thing as 'Linux'

--
Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA