From: Inertial on

"train" <gehan.ameresekere(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> On Jan 8, 4:13 am, eric gisse <jowr.pi.nos...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> ..@..(Henry Wilson DSc) wrote:

>> > It stops instantly as well. Reality doesn't rely on what humans see.
>>
>> Really? Instantly?
>>
>> [...]
>
> We this is indeed the point. Can anything travel faster than light?
> When the pole hits the back of the barn door and stops instantly,

Which means its a pretty tough barn door :)

> the
> impact has to be transmitted through the pole atom by atom. Can this
> happen faster than the speed of light? In classical mechanics yes

It usually happens at what is usually called the speed of sound for that
material .. the speed that such compression 'information' is transmitted
through the material.

If this immovable barn door is trying to travel through the rod (from the
moment of collision) at faster than the speed of sound in that rod, it will
cause catastrophic damage to the rod, as its back end tries to plough on
forwards and compress the rod faster than it can handle.

This effect is the same in principle whether SR or classical mechanics.

> In SRT if you follow it, you will have two effects The instant the
> pole stops,

You mean the instant the front end of it stops. In the pole frame, the back
end is blissfully unaware that its front end has crashed into a carelessly
closed barn door.

> the length contraction disappears, atom by atom along the
> length of the pole

Yes .. as those atoms get slowed down

> at the speed of light.

Well. it all depends on what happens to the various bits of the rod. Its
certainly not going to be good for it. Certainly the information (in SR)
cannot get to the back end of the rod FASTER than the speed of light. it
would probably get there at the maximum of the speed of sound in that
material, and the speed of the barn wrt the rod (ie either the compression
wave thru the rod gets to the back of the rod first, or the barn door itself
does :))

> as the stopping of the pole also takes place at the speed of light
> atom by atom.
> The pole will then pop right out of the front of the Barn Door.

More likely it will compress and shatter under the stress. We're assuming a
very strong barn door here.

> All
> this for the farmer watching the pole fly through the barn door at
> close to the speed of light.

Life is pretty dull on a farm .. you need al lthe entertainment you can get.

From: eric gisse on
train wrote:
[...]

> We this is indeed the point. Can anything travel faster than light?
> When the pole hits the back of the barn door and stops instantly, the
> impact has to be transmitted through the pole atom by atom. Can this
> happen faster than the speed of light? In classical mechanics yes

Yeah, for infinitely rigid objects which requires atoms to transfer
information faster than light speed. Which is physically impossible, and is
the point of the 'paradox'. Ralph does not understand this, nor does he care
to expand his mind a tiny little bit and consider the possibility.

From: Androcles on

From: Androcles on

> train wrote:
> [...]
[...]

From: Androcles on

"Henry Wilson DSc" <..@..> wrote in message
> On Fri, 8 Jan 2010 01:51:50 -0000, "Androcles"
> <Headmaster(a)Hogwarts.physics_r>
> wrote:
>

>>"eric gisse" <jowr.pi.nospam(a)gmail.com> wrote in message

>>[...]
>>>
>>> [...]
>
> Gawd! It's quiet in here...

I'm chatting with Gisse.