From: Androcles on

"Henry Wilson DSc" <..@..> wrote in message
> This experiment involves a light source and a mirror.
>
> The source emits pulses of light towards the mirror, which is moving at v
> towards it, as measured in the source frame.
>
> According to SR, both the incoming and reflected pulses move at c in the
> source
> frame. They 'close on' the mirror at c+v and leave it at c-v.
>
> Can any Einstein supporter show the world how, under these circumstances,
> the
> incident and reflected speeds of the pulses can be equal when measured in
> the
> mirror frame.

Multiply (c+v) by (c-v) which almost squares the result,
so divide by c^2 and then take the root of that, then take
the inverse and you'll have a fudge factor that unifuckates
c+v and/or c-v to c.

c = (c+/-v) / sqrt( (c+v) *(c-v) / c^2)
c = (c+/-v) / sqrt( (c^2-v^2) / c^2)
c = (c+/-v) / sqrt( c^2/c^2 - v^2/c^2)
c = (c+/-v) / sqrt( 1 - v^2/c^2)

An Einstein supporter like you should have no trouble
unifuckating as your hero Einstein did.

Wilson unifuckation "proves" Einstein right.

From: YBM on
Henry Wilson DSc a �crit :
> This experiment involves a light source and a mirror.
>
> The source emits pulses of light towards the mirror, which is moving at v
> towards it, as measured in the source frame.
>
> According to SR, both the incoming and reflected pulses move at c in the source
> frame. They 'close on' the mirror at c+v and leave it at c-v.
>
> Can any Einstein supporter show the world how, under these circumstances, the
> incident and reflected speeds of the pulses can be equal when measured in the
> mirror frame.

2nd SR postulate.

Alternatively you could apply Lorentz Transformations to verify that
both speeds are c in the mirror frame. There is no much point to do
it since SR postulates are equivalent to LTs (and are coherent). Anyway
it could be a good exercise for *you* who happen to have never applied
LTs to a single case in your whole miserable life.
From: Paul B. Andersen on
On 29.12.2009 21:14, Henry Wilson DSc wrote:
> This experiment involves a light source and a mirror.
>
> The source emits pulses of light towards the mirror, which is moving at v
> towards it, as measured in the source frame.
>
> According to SR, both the incoming and reflected pulses move at c in the source
> frame. They 'close on' the mirror at c+v and leave it at c-v.
>
> Can any Einstein supporter show the world how, under these circumstances, the
> incident and reflected speeds of the pulses can be equal when measured in the
> mirror frame.

Thanks for yet another demonstration of Rabbidgian logic. :-)

It goes like this:
Since I, Ralph Rabbidge with the fake degrees assert that the speed
of light transforms according to the Galilean transform, Einstein is
proven wrong. So there!!!

--
Paul

http://home.c2i.net/pb_andersen/
From: Inertial on

"Henry Wilson DSc" <..@..> wrote in message
> This experiment involves a light source and a mirror.

Not again .. haven't you learnt ANYTHING?

> The source emits pulses of light towards the mirror, which is moving at v
> towards it, as measured in the source frame.
>
> According to SR, both the incoming and reflected pulses move at c in the
> source
> frame.

Yeup

> They 'close on' the mirror at c+v and leave it at c-v.

In the source frame the light is moving at c (as in all inertial frames) and
the mirror at v, so yes, the closing speed between the light and mirror as
calculated by a source-frame observer is c+v incoming and after reflection
the separation speed as calculated by a source-frame observer is c-v.

> Can any Einstein supporter show the world how, under these circumstances,
> the
> incident and reflected speeds of the pulses can be equal when measured in
> the
> mirror frame.

In the mirror frame the light is moving at c (as in all inertial frames) and
the mirror is at rest, so yes, the closing speed between the light and
mirror as calculated by a mirror-frame observer is c incoming and after
reflection the separation speed as calculated by a mirror-frame observer is
c.

Closing and separation speed, just like times and distances, and velocities
and momentum etc, are all relative in SR. So different observers will
measure different speeds.

The clocks in the source frame used to measure closing/separating speeds of
c+v and c-v, but the clocks in the mirror frame are synchronized differently
(so in the source frame they would appear to read different times instead of
the same time), and so give different values for those speeds

So ... basically you are saying you've proved SR to be wrong because you
need someone to explain the second postulate to you. Only a proof that you
don't understand SR .. not that we needed another one.

From: Tom Roberts on
Henry Wilson DSc wrote:
> This experiment involves a light source and a mirror.

This is not an "experiment", it is a gedanken. The difference is CRUCIAL. That
is, no actual equipment is used, and no measurements are actually made; instead,
the described physical situation is analyzed using theories of physical behavior.

> The source emits pulses of light towards the mirror, which is moving at v
> towards it, as measured in the source frame.
> According to SR, both the incoming and reflected pulses move at c in the source
> frame. They 'close on' the mirror at c+v and leave it at c-v.

Yes, where the closing speeds are measured in the source frame. It is ALWAYS
necessary to state from which perspective such statements are made (closing
speeds are not measurements, they are calculations).

By "frame" I assume you mean INERTIAL frame, with source and
mirror at rest in their respective frames. I also assume vacuum
in all light paths (except for source and mirror). I further
assume some method of measuring the light pulses that does not
negate these assumptions (in a gedanken I can do that, even
though it cannot be done in the real world).

> Can any Einstein supporter show the world how, under these circumstances, the
> incident and reflected speeds of the pulses can be equal when measured in the
> mirror frame.

To measure their speeds in the mirror frame requires an observer at rest in the
mirror frame, using clocks and rulers at rest in the mirror frame. These clocks
and rulers are identical to the clocks and rulers at rest in the source frame,
but are NOT congruent to them (that is: when one measures the distance between a
given pair of events [#] using source-frame rulers, one gets a different value
than if one measured the distance between the same events using mirror-frame
rulers; similarly when one measures the time between a given pair of events
using source-frame clocks, one gets a different value than if one measured the
interval between the same events using mirror-frame clocks).

NOTE: in general one must use multiple clocks; in all cases
the clocks at rest in a given frame are synchronized in that
frame before being used for any measurements.

[#] an event is an idealized happening at a definite place
and time. Here are examples: light pulse #357 is emitted
by the source, light pulse #357 is reflected by the mirror.

The relationships among measurements by source-frame and mirror-frame clocks and
rulers are described by the Lorentz transform between the source and mirror
frames. A direct consequence of these relationships is that ALL light rays are
measured to propagate with speed c, in BOTH the source frame and the mirror
frame. This means the incident and reflected speeds of the pulses ARE equal when
measured in the mirror frame. It also means the incident and reflected speeds of
the pulses ARE equal when measured in the source frame. And it also means that
both of those measured speeds ARE equal to c.

Note: I am not really an "Einstein supporter". Rather, I
am a physicist. That is, I STUDY physics and use the theories
which best model the physical phenomena of the world. For this
sort of question by far the best model is Special Relativity
(no other theory comes close, except for theories
indistinguishable from SR).

Tom Roberts
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11