From: Inertial on

"Henry Wilson DSc" <..@..> wrote in message
> On Wed, 30 Dec 2009 18:49:21 +1100, "Inertial" <relatively(a)rest.com>
> wrote:
>

>>"Henry Wilson DSc" <..@..> wrote in message

>>> just read my latest post and give us the maths that demonstrate how two
>>> time
>>> intervals which are the same in one frame can be different in
>>> another...for
>>> that specific case..
>>
>>Why do you need math to show that c = c ?? The light is incident at c and
>>reflects at c in the mirrors frame of reference .. that comes directly
>>from
>>SR's 2nd postulate.
>
> Now tie that in with the fact that t1-t0 =/= t2-t1

What are t0, t1 and t2? You need to define your terms .. I see no mention
of them in this post.

>> Do you really need math to show that light travelling
>>at c from A to B takes the same time as light travelling at c the same
>>distance from B to A ??
>
> you obviously still cannot understand the question.

You obviously can't ask one.

From: Inertial on

"waldofj" <waldofj(a)verizon.net> wrote in message
>> > p xor q => p or q, dumby? Explain us what this is not true.
>>
>> Easy as 1,2,3, 4.
>>
>> 1) (FALSE xor FALSE) = TRUE
>> 2) (FALSE or FALSE) = FALSE
>> 3) (TRUE(from 1) => FALSE(from 2) ) = NOT TRUE
>> Happy now, moortel's rent boy?
>
> just for the record:
> 1) (TRUE xor TRUE) = FALSE
> 2) (TRUE or TRUE) = TRUE
> 3) (FALSE(from 1) => TRUE(from 2) ) = NOT TRUE

(FALSE => TRUE) = TRUE

see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Material_implication

Gees .. you guys just don't know your logic.

From: waldofj on

> The task for relativists is to show how the pulse travel times between the
> clocks can be the same in the mirror frame yet different in the source frame .

you come close to answering your question with this paragraph.

> In the source frame, the pulse's travel time between C1 and C2 on the forward
> trip is d/(c+v). The clocks NUMERICALLY read t0 and t1 as the light passes.
> After reflection, its travel time between C2 and C1 is d/(c-v) and the clocks
> record the numbers t1 and t2.
Although that should be d / gamma rather then just d.

what makes this work is according to Lorentz the clocks C1 and C2 are
NOT synchronized in the source frame. Specifically C1 will lag C2 by
an offset determined by both d and v.
So what happens is this:
As seen from the source frame light takes a time d / gamma / (c + v)
to go from C1 to C2. This time is less than d / c but because C2 is
more advanced than C1 it records a later (larger) value for t1 by just
the right amount such that d / (t1 - t0) = c.
As seen from the source frame light takes d / gamma / (c - v) to go
from C2 to C1. This time is greater than d / c but because C1 lags C2
it records an earlier (smaller) value for t2 by just the right amount
such that d / (t2 - t1) = c.
Don't bother looking for a physical explanation of this effect (clocks
synchronized in one frame are not synchronized in other frames). There
is no explanation, this is just what has to be if the principle of the
constancy of the speed of light is correct.
Remember this is not proof of anything, it's just a description of
what SR says about this scenario.
If you want proof, well:
http://www.cottonexpressions.com/ccp0-prodshow/YouWantProof.html
From: Androcles on

>> The task for relativists is to show how the pulse travel times between
>> the
>> clocks can be the same in the mirror frame yet different in the source
>> frame .
>
> you come close to answering your question with this paragraph.
>
>> In the source frame, the pulse's travel time between C1 and C2 on the
>> forward
>> trip is d/(c+v). The clocks NUMERICALLY read t0 and t1 as the light
>> passes.
>> After reflection, its travel time between C2 and C1 is d/(c-v) and the
>> clocks
>> record the numbers t1 and t2.
> Although that should be d / gamma rather then just d.
>
> what makes this work is according to Lorentz the clocks C1 and C2 are
> NOT synchronized in the source frame. Specifically C1 will lag C2 by
> an offset determined by both d and v.
> So what happens is this:
> As seen from the source frame light takes a time d / gamma / (c + v)
> to go from C1 to C2. This time is less than d / c but because C2 is
> more advanced than C1 it records a later (larger) value for t1 by just
> the right amount such that d / (t1 - t0) = c.
> As seen from the source frame light takes d / gamma / (c - v) to go
> from C2 to C1. This time is greater than d / c but because C1 lags C2
> it records an earlier (smaller) value for t2 by just the right amount
> such that d / (t2 - t1) = c.
> Don't bother looking for a physical explanation of this effect (clocks
> synchronized in one frame are not synchronized in other frames). There
> is no explanation, this is just what has to be if the principle of the
> constancy of the speed of light is correct.
> Remember this is not proof of anything, it's just a description of
> what SR says about this scenario.
> If you want proof, well:
> http://www.cottonexpressions.com/ccp0-prodshow/YouWantProof.html

I don't care about physical explanations, there is no mathematical
explanation. Anyone handwaving their precious gamma around
needs to derive it first.

gamma = sqrt[(c-v)(c+v)/c^2]

Chess boards have 63 squares and squares have 6 sides in relativity.
http://www.androcles01.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/MC2.htm

Don't bother looking for a physical explanation of this effect, the board
area is (8-1) * (8+1) = 63.

From: Cocoon on
On Dec 30, 9:44 am, "Androcles" <Headmas...(a)Hogwarts.physics_q> wrote:
> "YBM" <ybm...(a)nooos.fr.invalid> wrote in message

[snip unread]

> > For the record, could you define what you mean by "closing speed"?
>
> I never use the term without including "opening speed". You define it, rent
> boy.

this is not an excuse, start a new
thread and explain both

1. closing speed