From: spudnik on
there is no absolute vacuum for the mirror to "go at v,"
without creating a shockwave (local speed of sound).

just say, Duh!

thus quoth:
Papers of Hannes Olof Gosta Alfven, Nobel Prize winning astrophysicist
who
contributed to significant advances in the fields of
magnetohydrodynamics,
plasma physics, geophysics, thermonuclear reaction, and cosmology. He
shared
the Nobel Prize for Physics with Louis Neel in 1970. ... He was also
an
advocate of nuclear armaments destruction, working actively with
other
scientists such as Harold Urey to prevent nuclear proliferation and
conflict. Among Alfven's teaching positions were posts at the Royal
Institute of Technology, Stockholm, and
the University of California, San Diego. The papers span the years
1991 and are organized into ten series: ... The collection contains
significant correspondence with Alfven's fellow scientists,
including ...
Harold Urey, ... The collection focuses primarily on Alfven's time as
Professor of Applied Physics at the University of California, San
Diego, but
nearly every work from his immense bibliography is represented, many
in
draft forms. ...
Since 1967, he served as Professor of Applied Physics at the
University
of California, San Diego, spending six months of the year at UCSD and
six months at the Royal Institute of Technology, Stockholm.
For his research in magnetohydrodynamics and plasma physics, Alfven
shared
the 1970 Nobel Prize in Physics with Louis Eugene Felix Neel. ...
.... ORIGIN OF THE SOLAR SYSTEM (1959) with C.G. Falthammar; ... THE
TALE OF
THE BIG COMPUTER (1968) under the pen name of Olof Johannesson; ATOM,
MAN
AND THE UNIVERSE (1969); ... and STRUCTURE AND EVOLUTIONARY HISTORY OF
THE
SOLAR SYSTEM (1975) with Gustaf Arrhenius.
.... Hannes Alfven pioneered the development of MHD, the study of the
motion
of an electrically conducting fluid interacting with magnetic fields,
and,
in particular, the subject of plasma physics, the branch of MHD in
which the
fluid under study is a highly ionized gas consisting of nearly equal
numbers
of positively and negatively charged particles. Alfven was chiefly
concerned
with plasmas in stars, in the geomagnetic field, and in
interplanetary and interstellar space, but his theories were basic to
the
study of laboratory plasmas encountered in the development of
controlled
thermonucelar fusion. More specifically, Alfven applied his analyses
to such
phenomena as geomagnetic storms, the aurora, the Van Allen radiation
belts,
sunspots, and the evolution of the solar system. His results have
been
seminal not only in designing thermonuclear reactors, but also in the
development of astrophysics, space science, and geophysics. ...

2 26 Antimatter, Quasi-Stellar Objects and the Evolution of Galaxies,
1969.

--Brit's hate Shakespeare, Why?
http://wlym.com/campaigner/8011.pdf
--Madame Rice is a Riceist, How?
From: spudnik on
there is no vacuum for the red to shift in, although
Alfven had postulated that only matter-antimatter annhialation
was the only possible source of energy to expand Universe --
I just read!

just say, Duh!

From: Inertial on

"Henry Wilson DSc" <..@..> wrote in message
> On Thu, 31 Dec 2009 10:06:57 -0800 (PST), PD <thedraperfamily(a)gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>>On Dec 30, 7:36 pm, ..@..(Henry Wilson DSc) wrote:

>>> Well now you have to tell me how they can be UNEQUAL in the source
>>> frame....because P1 says they must be the same.
>>
>>No, it doesn't. The speed of light as measured in the source frame is
>>c, as I said above.
>>
>>What you noted is that the *closing speed* between the mirror and the
>>light, as measured in the source frame, is c+v and c-v. P1 does NOT
>>say that the *closing* speed between light and another object must be
>>c in any frame.
>>
>>Please learn what the postulate actually says.
>
> We are discussing the time taken for a light pulse to go from points A to
> B,
> which are rigidly connected. In the points' frame, the pulse takes the
> same to
> go from B to A.

Yeup

> Are you trying to tell me that this condition changes just because a lot
> of
> different observers start moving around all over the universe.

Nope

But other observers will disagree about the time taken as measured by them

This is basic stuff.

Your current line of non-thought also refutes the PoR in simple classical
Newtonian physics. Look at velocities. Can you find the equivalent
argument there? Or do you need me to spoon feed you?

From: Inertial on

> On Fri, 1 Jan 2010 11:26:18 +1100, "Inertial" <relatively(a)rest.com> wrote:
>

>>"Henry Wilson DSc" <..@..> wrote in message

>>> We are discussing the time taken for a light pulse to go from points A
>>> B,
>>> which are rigidly connected. In the points' frame, the pulse takes the
>>> same to
>>> go from B to A.
>>
>>Yeup
>>
>>> Are you trying to tell me that this condition changes just because a lot
>>> of
>>> different observers start moving around all over the universe.
>>
>>Nope
>>
>>But other observers will disagree about the time taken as measured by them
>
> that is not important.

Yes .. it is

> The actual times (which are equal in mirror frame) can have a different
> value
> in each frame if you want to believe in SR contractions.

Yeup .. no problem with that

> That does not mean they go from being equal to being unequal in different
> frames

Yeup .. no problem with that

>>This is basic stuff.
>
> It IS. That's why I can't understand why you are having trouble with it.

You're the one confused, old fart.

>>Your current line of non-thought also refutes the PoR in simple classical
>>Newtonian physics. Look at velocities. Can you find the equivalent
>>argument there? Or do you need me to spoon feed you?
>
> It does not...because in NM, the light reflects back from the mirror at
> c+2v
> wrt the source.

That's what Newton got wrong.

So .. you can't see how your argument about the PoR saying equal values must
be equal for all observers is wrong. Didn't think you would. That would
require thought and honesty on your part .. things sorely missing from your
posts.

From: Inertial on

"eric gisse" <jowr.pi.nospam(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> ..@..(Henry Wilson DSc) wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 31 Dec 2009 14:54:08 -0800, eric gisse <jowr.pi.nospam(a)gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>..@..(Henry Wilson DSc) wrote:
>>>
>>>[...]
>>>
>>>No, Ralph, this is simply the latest way you have made yourself
>>>misunderstand relativity. I suppose it is an improvement over 'tick
>>>faeries'.

>>>I don't recall that distinction ever being made. Could you show where
>>>that's the case?
>>
>> Christ! Surely you know that much...
>
> In about 5 years of university, and about a thousand pages of classical
> mechanics textbooks not once was this mentioned. Perhaps you could tell me
> which of your books on the subject says what you claim so I could read it
> for myself?

Maybe this is what he means.

The principle of relativity dates back to Galileo. However, in classical
physics it is usually combined with Newton's laws of motion, which all
happen to involve terms in them somewhere that have at least an L/T, that
the apply in the same way in all inertial frames of reference. This is
often called Galilean Relativity.

In SR, the principle of relativity is extended (not reduced) to cover all
laws of physics, not just the laws of motion, as they apply in inertial
frames of reference. In particular, the constancy of the speed of light,
irrespective of the motion of the source, is one of the things that SR
postulates is the case for all inertial frames of reference.

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Prev: LHC marries Aunt-Al
Next: SR and a lightbulb