From: Metspitzer on
It would be nice if computers started coming with built in redundancy.

I could imagine using a 40 G SSD drive that would store a virgin copy
of the OS that could not be changed. It would then store any updates
and anything else you want for speed. Then use a data drive to keep a
copy of the SSD drive as well as space for everything else.

Any data loss from bad spots on the SSD drive could be automatically
blocked and other space could be replaced like Raid technology.

From: John Doe on
Metspitzer <kilowatt charter.net> wrote:

> It would be nice if computers started coming with built in
> redundancy.
>
> I could imagine using a 40 G SSD drive that would store a virgin
> copy of the OS that could not be changed. It would then store
> any updates and anything else you want for speed. Then use a
> data drive to keep a copy of the SSD drive as well as space for
> everything else.

That is called "Macrium Reflect". And it is free to boot.

From: DevilsPGD on
In message <9lrh26ll78gkmhhe4q4fdkkauhrk1924e8(a)4ax.com> Metspitzer
<kilowatt(a)charter.net> was claimed to have wrote:

>It would be nice if computers started coming with built in redundancy.
>
>I could imagine using a 40 G SSD drive that would store a virgin copy
>of the OS that could not be changed. It would then store any updates
>and anything else you want for speed. Then use a data drive to keep a
>copy of the SSD drive as well as space for everything else.
>
>Any data loss from bad spots on the SSD drive could be automatically
>blocked and other space could be replaced like Raid technology.

Based on practical experience this far in, it's looking like you should
be using that SSD to provide both speed and reliability to cover the
rotational drive's shortcomings in both departments.

Despite the potential for SSDs to "wear out" certain parts of the flash,
this situation gets detected when data is written, there doesn't seem to
be any significant "bit rot" type problems on SSDs once data is written.
From: Paul on
Metspitzer wrote:
> It would be nice if computers started coming with built in redundancy.
>
> I could imagine using a 40 G SSD drive that would store a virgin copy
> of the OS that could not be changed. It would then store any updates
> and anything else you want for speed. Then use a data drive to keep a
> copy of the SSD drive as well as space for everything else.
>
> Any data loss from bad spots on the SSD drive could be automatically
> blocked and other space could be replaced like Raid technology.

There is a device, that mixes an SSD with a hard drive.
This is different than RAID 1, and isn't a 1:1 redundancy
scheme. If your hard drive dies while plugged into this
gadget, you lose all writes since the last manual sync
operation. If the SSD dies, the loss isn't nearly as bad,
as it's possible the hard drive has everything. The
SSD is the one that "falls behind", which is why you
need to occasionally sync it (like at the end of
every work day).

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/29176-silverstone-hddboost-review.html

So that isn't pure RAID 1 redundancy. If you did standard
RAID 1, you'd get the speed benefit of RAID racing on
reads (as the SSD would always win and deliver data first
to the host). While on writes, the hard drive would be the
last to finish its command, and writes would always seem to
work at hard drive speeds. Which isn't actually all bad. For
example, with my usage patterns here, I have a lot more
read-only (reference data), than freshly written files
(downloads). So I'd get a relatively good boost doing it
that way. And you can do RAID 1 with your chipset, so
nothing to buy except the expensive SSD.

With the pure RAID 1 scheme, you're trading off the loss
of blazing write speed, for the ability to have a redundant
copy of the data. So you'd be less worried about the
SSD dying.

Paul