From: RayLopez99 on
For a $1500 system, which is my budget, not for games but for coding,
should I get a Solid State Drive and if so, can I have it work in
tandem with (maybe Raid_?) a traditional rotating platter HD? I
figure 100 GB SSD is enough for the C drive (SSD), then use a D drive
that's traditional partitioned into two components, a FAT32 for
Ghosting the C drive and a NTFS for extra space (I usually put all
'junk' programs I don't really care to backup on d:)

Also does anybody see backwards compatibility problems with an x64
system? In theory no, but I also use IIS, Visual Studio, etc some of
these programs are very quirky and/or temperamental.

RL
From: Conor on
On 18/06/2010 05:36, RayLopez99 wrote:
> For a $1500 system, which is my budget, not for games but for coding,
> should I get a Solid State Drive and if so, can I have it work in
> tandem with (maybe Raid_?) a traditional rotating platter HD?

Yes. A good compromise is the OS and apps on the SSD and the traditional
for data storage.

> Also does anybody see backwards compatibility problems with an x64
> system? In theory no, but I also use IIS, Visual Studio, etc some of
> these programs are very quirky and/or temperamental.

Windows Vista/7 x64 has been fine for me.

--
Conor www.notebooks-r-us.co.uk