From: Cliff Lewis on
My ISP, SBC, recently sent me instructions for new email settings.
They said that I had to require an encrypted connection and use SMTP
port 465. After reviewing Eudora's documentation, I concluded that I
could get that result by setting "Secure Sockets when Sending" to
"Required, Alternate Port."

Now I get an error message the first time I try to send email after
starting Eudora. The message reads

SBC Main, Connecting to the Mail Server...,
SSL Negotiation Failed: The connection with the server has been lost.
Cause: (5)

SBC Main, Connecting to the Mail Server...,
Error writing to network Cause: connection reset by remote side
(10054).

If I send queued messages after that, it goes through just fine, and I
can send email as long as I keep Eudora running.

I made the same settings on my notebook computer, and have no problems
sending email from that. I cannot see any difference in the settings.

Any ideas what is causing this error?

Thanks,
Cliff Lewis
From: John H Meyers on
On Fri, 08 Jun 2007 13:46:11 -0500, Cliff Lewis wrote:

> My ISP, SBC, recently sent me instructions for new email settings.
> They said that I had to require an encrypted connection and use SMTP
> port 465. After reviewing Eudora's documentation, I concluded that I
> could get that result by setting "Secure Sockets when Sending" to
> "Required, Alternate Port."

Yes indeed -- it can be regarded as a slight UI design error
that one has to do that deep research into documentation
to discover that relationship, when ISP's instructions
say only "use port 465 and SSL" (how would anyone
connect that with the word "alternate," partcularly
since you never get to see what port any choice will use,
unless you either install the "Esoteric" plugin
or click on special links)

> Now I get an error message the first time I try to send email
> after starting Eudora. The message reads
>
> SBC Main, Connecting to the Mail Server...,
> SSL Negotiation Failed: The connection with the server has been lost.
> Cause: (5)
>
> SBC Main, Connecting to the Mail Server...,
> Error writing to network Cause: connection reset by remote side
> (10054).
>
> If I send queued messages after that, it goes through just fine,
> and I can send email as long as I keep Eudora running.
>
> I made the same settings on my notebook computer, and have no problems
> sending email from that. I cannot see any difference in the settings.
>
> Any ideas what is causing this error?

What Eudora versions on each computer?

What processor and speed on each computer?

I have about a 75% chance of my first SSL negotiation failing
(in my case it's on checking mail, rather than sending,
but it appears to be a similar situation); I have speculated
that this may be related to the very long time that Eudora
version 7.1.0.9 spends setting up the very first SSL connection,
and that the probability of "missing the first boat"
may be higher, the slower is the computer, or if it's distracted
by doing anything else at the same time, like starting other programs
or updating virus definitions, or checking for Windows updates.

Any further observations and correlations would be of interest.

As the saying goes: "if at first you don't succeed,
try one more time" :)