From: John H Meyers on
On 3/23/2010 8:04 PM, Han wrote:

> Gmail is what is causing most of the SSL semi-hangs at first mail check.

Any first connection using SSL
will require the initialization of a random number generator in OpenSSL.

Gmail just happens to be a connection requiring SSL.

The initialization method in Windows seems, however,
to be a massive overkill, like swatting a fly with a sledgehammer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sledgehammer

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sledge_Hammer!

> Some other things seem slow under Win7 with my Eudora 7.1 too, e.g.
> filtering. The machine is powerful enough, so I am not quite sure what
> settings are "mismatched".

What sort of slowness do you mean, re "filtering"?

There exist settings about how long to wait before doing things,
which are independent of Windows versions,
but to which we may start attributing undeserved significance
if we have just changed systems.

Windows itself is a bit "heavier" than it used to be.

From: Han on
John H Meyers <jhmeyers(a)nomail.invalid> wrote in

> On 3/23/2010 8:04 PM, Han wrote:
>
>> Gmail is what is causing most of the SSL semi-hangs at first mail
>> check.
>
> Any first connection using SSL
> will require the initialization of a random number generator in
> OpenSSL.
>
> Gmail just happens to be a connection requiring SSL.
>
> The initialization method in Windows seems, however,
> to be a massive overkill, like swatting a fly with a sledgehammer.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sledgehammer
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sledge_Hammer!
>
>> Some other things seem slow under Win7 with my Eudora 7.1 too, e.g.
>> filtering. The machine is powerful enough, so I am not quite sure
>> what settings are "mismatched".
>
> What sort of slowness do you mean, re "filtering"?
>
> There exist settings about how long to wait before doing things,
> which are independent of Windows versions,
> but to which we may start attributing undeserved significance
> if we have just changed systems.

I will recheck those settings ...

> Windows itself is a bit "heavier" than it used to be.

This is a new machine. Dell XPS 9000 (3 GHz, 8GB RAM, Win7 Pro 64bit).
It does much better than my old Dell, but Eudora is sometimes very slow.
Could be how this is connected to the outside, and the slowness of my
employer's email system (I'm off campus).

--
Best regards
Han