From: Albert on
Hello,

For coding contests I only have a solid knowledge of C. When problems
get hard, I won't have time to code up my own Andersson tree but will
have to use a binary search tree in the STL.

Is there a good tutorial on C++ you would recommend, covering especially
the STL, on the internet for C programmers? I need a solid understanding
of C++ programs that are the C++ version of the C counterpart (so I can
found out what I need to #include, what using namespace std means), and
don't need OOP *at all* (but I think the STL requires understanding of
OOP, I'm not sure).

TIA,

Albert
From: Leo Havmøller on
"Albert" <albert.xtheunknown0(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> For coding contests I only have a solid knowledge of C. When problems get
> hard, I won't have time to code up my own Andersson tree but will have to
> use a binary search tree in the STL.
>
> Is there a good tutorial on C++ you would recommend, covering especially
> the STL, on the internet for C programmers? I need a solid understanding
> of C++ programs that are the C++ version of the C counterpart (so I can
> found out what I need to #include, what using namespace std means), and
> don't need OOP *at all* (but I think the STL requires understanding of
> OOP, I'm not sure).

I recommend the book "Accelerated C++" by Andrew Koenig and Barbare E. Moo:
http://www.amazon.com/Accelerated-C-Practical-Programming-Example/dp/020170353X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1264049594&sr=8-1

Leo Havm�ller.

From: Bas on
IMHO I dont think you can understand STL really well if you don't know C++
really well.

Bas

From: Francis Glassborow on
Bas wrote:

> "Albert" <albert.xtheunknown0(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hello,
>>
>> For coding contests I only have a solid knowledge of C. When problems
>> get hard, I won't have time to code up my own Andersson tree but will
>> have to use a binary search tree in the STL.
>>
>> Is there a good tutorial on C++ you would recommend, covering
>> especially the STL, on the internet for C programmers? I need a solid
>> understanding of C++ programs that are the C++ version of the C
>> counterpart (so I can found out what I need to #include, what using
>> namespace std means), and don't need OOP *at all* (but I think the STL
>> requires understanding of OOP, I'm not sure).
>>

> IMHO I dont think you can understand STL really well if you don't know
> C++ really well.
>
> Bas

However you do not need to understand it in order to use it. E.g.

std::vector<T>

all the user needs to know is that creates an expendable sequence of T.
From: Bas on

"Francis Glassborow" <francis.glassborow(a)btinternet.com> wrote in message
> Bas wrote:
>

>> "Albert" <albert.xtheunknown0(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> For coding contests I only have a solid knowledge of C. When problems
>>> get hard, I won't have time to code up my own Andersson tree but will
>>> have to use a binary search tree in the STL.
>>>
>>> Is there a good tutorial on C++ you would recommend, covering especially
>>> the STL, on the internet for C programmers? I need a solid understanding
>>> of C++ programs that are the C++ version of the C counterpart (so I can
>>> found out what I need to #include, what using namespace std means), and
>>> don't need OOP *at all* (but I think the STL requires understanding of
>>> OOP, I'm not sure).
>>>

> > IMHO I dont think you can understand STL really well if you don't know
> > C++ really well.
> >
> > Bas
>
> However you do not need to understand it in order to use it. E.g.
>
> std::vector<T>
>
> all the user needs to know is that creates an expendable sequence of T.

...I think you need at least some knowlegde of templates. If T is a compound
object (Base and derived class) you need to know etc.
I doubt one can use the STL without knowing C++.

Bas