From: kpg on
oh. nevermind.

Would there also be a potential for this sort of thing to happen on any box
with different internationl/date settings? I mean, not with the 3rd party
part, just straight vb? I seem to remember being bitten by this once.

kpg
From: Helmut Meukel on

"kpg" <no(a)spam.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

> Would there also be a potential for this sort of thing to happen on any box
> with different international/date settings? I mean, not with the 3rd party
> part, just straight vb? I seem to remember being bitten by this once.
>
> kpg

There are all kind of things with different international settings.

I used
mvarPi = CDec("3,1415926535897932384626433832")
in my programs do have maximal precision for calculations.
CDec uses the local settings, so I had to use the comma as
decimal sign. (German locale).
Then I tried to install my app on a swiss PC (language german)
and got an error, because in Switzerland they use the point
as decimal sign.
This did the trick:
DecimalChar$ = Mid$(CStr(1.2), 2, 1)
mvarPi = CDec("3" & DecimalChar$ _
& "1415926535897932384626433832")

A customer called me because some Access queries suddenly
didn't return the expected records. (didn't find any records at all).
I used RAS to log onto the box and started the Access query.
On my PC Access returned the records from their mdb.
So I drove to their site (320 km) and finally found the problem:
Some practical joker had changed the settings in Control Panel
from German(Germany) to Spanish(Panama) which automatically
changed the date from "DD.MM.YYYY" to "MM/DD/YYYY".
The problem was Access97 happily accepted any delimiter and
when they typed 6,2,2005 to get the orders from February, 6.
Access used the locale settings to retrieve the orders from June, 2.
and found none, because we still had February.

Helmut.

From: Webbiz on
On Fri, 26 Feb 2010 13:15:23 -0800, kpg <no(a)spam.com> wrote:

>Are X and Y declared as Integers?

I declare my loop variables as LONG, as it was suggested to me some
time ago that LONG was more efficient than INTEGER.

From: kpg on
Webbiz <nospam(a)noway.com> wrote in news:n4aoo5d4vkcol84fs31in7sgn3d7hob5cb@
4ax.com:

> On Fri, 26 Feb 2010 13:15:23 -0800, kpg <no(a)spam.com> wrote:
>
>>Are X and Y declared as Integers?
>
> I declare my loop variables as LONG, as it was suggested to me some
> time ago that LONG was more efficient than INTEGER.

I suppose that is correct, 32 bit and all. I was thinking not float.
First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Prev: Fixing/ Rounding
Next: Last MSDN applicable to VB6