From: Chris Hanlon on
I am running Sendmail 8.13.8-2 on Ubuntu Linux 6.10 and I keep getting
the message "SYSERR(root): buildaddr: unknown mailer procmail" whenever
I put entries like

newsletter.smallcap.ca procmail:/home/openemm/conf/bav/bav.rc

in my /etc/mail/mailertable

The problem doesn't appear to be directly related to procmail because
the error doesn't happen when I enter

newsletter.smallcap.ca local:

and the local mailer also uses procmail. Does anyone know where my
problem is?

Chris Hanlon
My Config files are attached
From: Per Hedeland on
In article <8hXvh.831793$5R2.793068(a)pd7urf3no> Chris Hanlon
<nospam(a)untie.ca> writes:

>I am running Sendmail 8.13.8-2 on Ubuntu Linux 6.10 and I keep getting
>the message "SYSERR(root): buildaddr: unknown mailer procmail" whenever
>I put entries like
>
>newsletter.smallcap.ca procmail:/home/openemm/conf/bav/bav.rc
>
>in my /etc/mail/mailertable
>
>The problem doesn't appear to be directly related to procmail because
>the error doesn't happen when I enter
>
>newsletter.smallcap.ca local:
>
>and the local mailer also uses procmail. Does anyone know where my
>problem is?

"local mailer uses procmail" is quite different from "mailer procmail" -
the former is achieved via FEATURE(`local_procmail'), the latter
requires MAILER(`procmail'), in your .mc file. Now, you didn't attach
the .mc file, which is the only one that you should / need to provide,
but it was included in the sendmail.cf for those patient enough to
scroll to the end of it, and it did have MAILER(`procmail'). I.e. it
should work - perhaps you haven't restarted the daemon after updating
sendmai.cf, or installed sendmail.cf in the wrong place? The latter
should be /etc/mail/sendmail.cf since several years, but some OS
distributions may still be sticking to the old /etc/sendmail.cf - or
maybe your OS isn't, but you are...

--Per Hedeland
per(a)hedeland.org