From: John E. Hein on
Scenario: an smtp server running sendmail that forwards mail for
certain users in its domain to an email account in another domain.

How do I tell the local sendmail to wait to accept an email until the
downstream MTA has done its envelope checks?

This would avoid bounce messages when the downstream MTA refuses a
message that seems otherwise okay to the local sendmail, and the
bounce cannot be delivered to the original sender (as is, of course,
often the case with spam).
From: Dennis Peterson on
John E. Hein wrote:
> Scenario: an smtp server running sendmail that forwards mail for
> certain users in its domain to an email account in another domain.
>
> How do I tell the local sendmail to wait to accept an email until the
> downstream MTA has done its envelope checks?
>
> This would avoid bounce messages when the downstream MTA refuses a
> message that seems otherwise okay to the local sendmail, and the
> bounce cannot be delivered to the original sender (as is, of course,
> often the case with spam).

See milter-ahead at snertsoft.com.

dp
From: John E. Hein on
Dennis Peterson <dennispe(a)inetnw.com> writes:
> John E. Hein wrote:
> > Scenario: an smtp server running sendmail that forwards mail for
> > certain users in its domain to an email account in another domain.
> > How do I tell the local sendmail to wait to accept an email until the
> > downstream MTA has done its envelope checks?
> > This would avoid bounce messages when the downstream MTA refuses a
> > message that seems otherwise okay to the local sendmail, and the
> > bounce cannot be delivered to the original sender (as is, of course,
> > often the case with spam).
>
> See milter-ahead at snertsoft.com.

I've seen that one, but I haven't yet tried it.

Anyone know of any other milters or other options? Nothing in
sendmail proper? This seems like a common problem for a server
with a lot of forwards to have.
From: jmaimon on
On Jan 30, 5:31 pm, j...(a)gromit.timing.com (John E. Hein) wrote:
> Dennis Peterson <denni...(a)inetnw.com> writes:
> > John E. Hein wrote:
> > > Scenario: an smtp server running sendmail that forwards mail for
> > > certain users in its domain to an email account in another domain.
> > > How do I tell the local sendmail to wait to accept an email until the
> > > downstream MTA has done its envelope checks?
> > > This would avoid bounce messages when the downstream MTA refuses a
> > > message that seems otherwise okay to the local sendmail, and the
> > > bounce cannot be delivered to the original sender (as is, of course,
> > > often the case with spam).
>
> > See milter-ahead at snertsoft.com.
>
> I've seen that one, but I haven't yet tried it.
>
> Anyone know of any other milters or other options? Nothing in
> sendmail proper? This seems like a common problem for a server
> with a lot of forwards to have.

----------
"How do I let my mx gateway server recognize which recipients are
valid
on the final destionation/next hop server and which are not?"

Which has hit the newsgroup so frequently it really needs to be a faq
entry.

The short answers are:

*

Use ldap routing

see cf/README

+--------------+
| LDAP ROUTING |
-++--------------+

http://www.sendmail.org/m4/ldap_routing.html

*

Use virtusertable with undocumented feature and an entry for each
valid user and a catchall entry that @domain.com error:nouser

_VIRTUSER_STOP_ONE_LEVEL_RECURSION_

*

Use virtusertable with a RHS of "!" for each valid user and a
catchall entry that @domain.com error:nouser

*

Use access db with undocumented feature

define(`_RELAY_FULL_ADDR_', `1')

And put all your users in there

To:u...(a)example.com RELAY

*

use a milter of which there are several.

milter-ahead
j-chkmail
mimedefang
dnsbl
callahead-milter
milter-sav

A list of milters is available at
http://www.jmaimon.com/sendmail/milters

From: jmaimon on
On Jan 30, 1:03 pm, j...(a)gromit.timing.com (John E. Hein) wrote:
> Scenario: an smtp server running sendmail that forwards mail for
> certain users in its domain to an email account in another domain.
>
> How do I tell the local sendmail to wait to accept an email until the
> downstream MTA has done its envelope checks?
>
> This would avoid bounce messages when the downstream MTA refuses a
> message that seems otherwise okay to the local sendmail, and the
> bounce cannot be delivered to the original sender (as is, of course,
> often the case with spam).

Do you want recipient checks or do you want to actually send the whole
message downstream before reporting 250 after the smtp DATA phase?

The former is the common problem.