From: Ryan on
The SYSTEM user is the only account that can take ownership using the subinacl without getting that Access Denied error.

This may not be the best way for you to do this but it worked for me. I created a batch file to run the subinacl command and set it as a scheduled task. When you set up the task set it to run as the SYSTEM user.

The only problem you may have is implementing this in your scenario. I run a scheduled task nightly to clean up printers on our 2008 TS so this worked for me.

Good Luck!

RichardGant wrote:

Thank you very much for your hint.
31-Mar-09

Thank you very much for your hint.

I tried installing the mentioned role, but there is not one thing that
changes:

1. In the GUI - as described in the article - ""Administrator" could ALWAYS
take ownership of the printer, set manage permisson and then have full access
to the properties.
2. After logging of ALL THE SETTINGS ARE LOST WITH THE PRINTER.
3. SubInAcl.exe still CANNOT set ownership despite the fact that the GUI can.

I thought, i could automate the process of giving the USER full access to
the redirected printers properties, because THE USER MUST BE ABLE TO USE MORE
TRAYS THAN JUST TRAY 1.

How can the user change the trays?

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!

TIA,
Richard

"Gaurav Daga [MSFT]" wrote:

On Saturday, March 28, 2009 6:57 AM
RichardGant wrote:

why cannot take ownership with SubInAcl for a printer in W2K8 TS
There is a mighty Printer/Scanner/Faxer "Canon iR 3035/3045" with certified
driver "Canon iR 3035/3045 PCL 5e" installed on our Windows Server 2008 x64
TerminalServer, which is located in town1.

The Office with about 15 Clients and the mentioned printer is located in
town2 and the clients work with the latest RDP-Client over a VPN-tunnel on
the TS in town1.

The printer is redirected, but there is NO ACCESS to the properties of the
printer, so we CANNOT install the duplexer, finisher nor the two more paper
trays.

As administrator i can take ownership within the GUI of the redirected
printer and then have full access to the properties of the printer.
But as soon as we logoff, all settings are thrown away and i have to
manually take ownership and set the propriate settings on every logon.

So itried to automate this by using

SubInAcl.exe /printer "CANON Sekretariat (redirected 1)"
/setowner=administrator"

but i always get an exception 5 - access denied - even as administrator.

can anyone help with this issue?
We strongly need all the properties of the printer, for example the paper
trays, because we have 3 different papers we all the time have to print on.

Help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all in advance,

Richard

On Tuesday, March 31, 2009 6:41 PM
GauravDagaMSF wrote:

RE: why cannot take ownership with SubInAcl for a printer in W2K8 TS
Can you please try the process outline to manage printers in this blog post:
http://blogs.msdn.com/rds/archive/2007/04/26/introducing-terminal-services-easy-print-part-3.aspx? Does it work for you?

"Richard Gantz" wrote:

On Tuesday, March 31, 2009 10:25 PM
RichardGant wrote:

Thank you very much for your hint.
Thank you very much for your hint.

I tried installing the mentioned role, but there is not one thing that
changes:

1. In the GUI - as described in the article - ""Administrator" could ALWAYS
take ownership of the printer, set manage permisson and then have full access
to the properties.
2. After logging of ALL THE SETTINGS ARE LOST WITH THE PRINTER.
3. SubInAcl.exe still CANNOT set ownership despite the fact that the GUI can.

I thought, i could automate the process of giving the USER full access to
the redirected printers properties, because THE USER MUST BE ABLE TO USE MORE
TRAYS THAN JUST TRAY 1.

How can the user change the trays?

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!

TIA,
Richard

"Gaurav Daga [MSFT]" wrote:

Build a Cross-Browser ASP.NET CSS-Only Menu UserControl
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/f32b452c-48ea-4ed8-96ce-d17d1b482676/build-a-crossbrowser-asp.aspx