From: mmyvusenet on
Hello:

I also took these photos:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mmyv/4571305649/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mmyv/4571344947/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mmyv/4572052188/

Thanks for your technical comments about photography.

--
MMYV
http://www.mmyv.com

From: John McWilliams on
mmyvusenet wrote:
> Hello:
>
> I also took these photos:
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/mmyv/4571305649/
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/mmyv/4571344947/
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/mmyv/4572052188/
>
> Thanks for your technical comments about photography.

I looked at the last one: Never show a vessel other than level at a
dock, unless she is severely so and that's the story.
From: Fred McKenzie on
In article <hrl7h8$379$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>,
John McWilliams <jpmcw(a)comcast.net> wrote:

> mmyvusenet wrote:
> > Hello:
> >
> > I also took these photos:
> >
> > http://www.flickr.com/photos/mmyv/4571305649/
> >
> > http://www.flickr.com/photos/mmyv/4571344947/
> >
> > http://www.flickr.com/photos/mmyv/4572052188/
> >
> > Thanks for your technical comments about photography.
>
> I looked at the last one: Never show a vessel other than level at a
> dock, unless she is severely so and that's the story.

In this case, tilting the camera for a horizontal railing would have
resulted in very tilted masts. Perhaps this was the best compromise
possible.

I would have taken that photo either zoomed out or in, or looking a
little higher. The flag appears to be the center of interest, but I
find the clipped-off hull at the bottom to be distracting.

I tried cropping off the bottom, above the top of the people's heads,
and liked the results better.

Fred
From: John McWilliams on
Fred McKenzie wrote:
> In article <hrl7h8$379$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>,
> John McWilliams <jpmcw(a)comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> mmyvusenet wrote:
>>> Hello:
>>>
>>> I also took these photos:
>>>
>>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/mmyv/4571305649/
>>>
>>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/mmyv/4571344947/
>>>
>>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/mmyv/4572052188/
>>>
>>> Thanks for your technical comments about photography.
>> I looked at the last one: Never show a vessel other than level at a
>> dock, unless she is severely so and that's the story.
>
> In this case, tilting the camera for a horizontal railing would have
> resulted in very tilted masts. Perhaps this was the best compromise
> possible.

The masts are raked slightly aft, anyway, and anything that's on water
better be level- or be at sea.

In other words, I disagree with your agreeable statement.

--
john mcwilliams
From: Ofnuts on
On 04/05/2010 03:16, John McWilliams wrote:
> Fred McKenzie wrote:
>> In article <hrl7h8$379$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>,
>> John McWilliams <jpmcw(a)comcast.net> wrote:

>>> I looked at the last one: Never show a vessel other than level at a
>>> dock, unless she is severely so and that's the story.
>>
>> In this case, tilting the camera for a horizontal railing would have
>> resulted in very tilted masts. Perhaps this was the best compromise
>> possible.
>
> The masts are raked slightly aft, anyway, and anything that's on water
> better be level- or be at sea.
>
> In other words, I disagree with your agreeable statement.

The crane/mast in the background(*) on the right tilts on the other
side, so this could just be a matter of perspective.

(*)Miguel, when will we get larger pictures?

--
Bertrand