From: Volker Lendecke on
On Thu, Apr 01, 2010 at 01:49:56PM +0200, christoph.beyer(a)desy.de wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I bet they are but I see thousands of them per second for every client
> that is 'just connected' and not doing anything, (on solaris) it slows
> down a t5120 machine with five connections to become unusable... I see
> the problem with:
>
> samba-3.0.20
> samba-3.2.14
> samba-3.3.10
> samba-3.4.1 samba-3.4.5
>
> stopped trying more versions than as there was no single response on this
> list and changed my service to a linux box where all of these versions
> run just fine :)

That might be a symptom of a corrupt tdb file somewhere.
lsof might show you which of the tdbs is being beaten.

Volker
Hi,

I bet they are but I see thousands of them per second for every client
that is 'just connected' and not doing anything, (on solaris) it slows
down a t5120 machine with five connections to become unusable... I see the
problem with:

samba-3.0.20
samba-3.2.14
samba-3.3.10
samba-3.4.1
samba-3.4.5

stopped trying more versions than as there was no single response on this
list and changed my service to a linux box where all of these versions run
just fine :)

cheers
christoph

On Thu, 1 Apr 2010, Volker Lendecke wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 01, 2010 at 01:32:02PM +0200, Christoph Beyer wrote:
>> if you do 'truss -f -p <smbd-PID>' do you see a lot of:
>>
>> 19702: fcntl(17, F_SETLKW64, 0xFFBFE640) = 0
>>
>> ?
>>
>> If yes this is a problem that is present in most of the recent samba
>> versions (tried 5 or 6 versions off the different branches) it's a
>> solaris related bug but that's all I can say. It might be fixed in 3.5.1
>
> Those many fcntl calls are just normal Samba operation. They
> should be *very* fast. There might be a problem with the
> messages.tdb, notify.tdb and notify_onelevel.tdb in current
> Samba version, where there is one fcntl read lock being held
> per smbd on each of these databases. This might be a
> performance problem if you have thousands of connected
> clients. But normally, fcntl calls should be very fast.
>
> Volker

best regards
~christoph

--
/* Christoph Beyer | Office: Building 2b / 23 *\
* DESY | Phone: 040-8998-2317 *

hmm,

the symptoms went away using the older version of 3.0.x with the same
tdbs, anyway thanks for the hint and maybe Alan has a complete different
problem...

cheers
christoph

On Thu, 1 Apr 2010, Volker Lendecke wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 01, 2010 at 01:49:56PM +0200, christoph.beyer(a)desy.de wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I bet they are but I see thousands of them per second for every client
>> that is 'just connected' and not doing anything, (on solaris) it slows
>> down a t5120 machine with five connections to become unusable... I see
>> the problem with:
>>
>> samba-3.0.20
>> samba-3.2.14
>> samba-3.3.10
>> samba-3.4.1 samba-3.4.5
>>
>> stopped trying more versions than as there was no single response on this
>> list and changed my service to a linux box where all of these versions
>> run just fine :)
>
> That might be a symptom of a corrupt tdb file somewhere.
> lsof might show you which of the tdbs is being beaten.
>
> Volker

best regards
~christoph

On Thu, Apr 01, 2010 at 02:00:51PM +0200, christoph.beyer(a)desy.de wrote:
> the symptoms went away using the older version of 3.0.x with the same
> tdbs, anyway thanks for the hint and maybe Alan has a complete different
> problem...

This needs fixing. Using samba-ancient is no solution :-)

Can you send a debug level 10 smbd log and the truss output
of a smbd?

Volker