From: Alan Secker on
I started to execute an upgrade plan so that all six of my LAN work-stations
and the file server would be running Mandriva 2010. So far two work-stations
had been updated. One wouldn't connect to the file-server but one did. On
Saturday I replace the old file server wit the new one, having tested it a
week earlier. On Monday morning only one machine (running MDV 2008) could
communicate with the server. It turned out that there were new options that
didn't exist in 2005 and they were causing a problem.

All the work-stations run a version of Windows as a guest of a VM + Linux.
By this evening machines running Mandriva 2005 to 2008 and VMs Win4lin and
Vmware 1.x all work with the new server but neither of the Mandriva 2010
machines with VirtualBox will, neither at the host level nor Windows.

On the server I have deleted all the samba users whose machines would not
connect, re-added them along with their passwords and restarted samba each
time.

I cannot think of anything that would cause only the MDV 2010 machines to be
iffy.

From: Alan Secker on
Alan Secker wrote:

>//
>I started to execute an upgrade plan so that all six of my LAN
> work-stations and the file server would be running Mandriva 2010. So far
>//
>with their passwords and restarted samba each > time.
>
> I cannot think of anything that would cause only the MDV 2010 machines to
> be iffy.

After fiddling around a bit I found that if I went into smb4k and sought to
complete authentication at both the server and public folder levels, I could
access the files from Mandriva AND when I had opened up VirtualBox and then
XP from the latter but it is a bit cumbersome.

I found an article on Google on how to mount network folders on boot up and
allow all users to read/write. This involved creating the file
/root/.smbcredentials in /home/myusername/sharename and populating it with
two lines:

username=myusername
password=mypassword

chmod 700/root/.smbcredentials
and adding the following line to fstab (The first bit is my file-server's
address). It comes out as two lines here.

//102.168.x.y/FSERVERNAME/sharename /home/myusername/sharename smbfs
credentials=/root/.smbcredentials,dmask=777,fmask=777 0

Unfortunately, it didn't work.
There must be an easy way to mount shares from MDV 2010. I'd appreciate a
hand before my colleagues beat me to death!

Pages: 1
Prev: Dual boot Win 7
Next: Emacs, compilation and PATH