From: Volker Lendecke on
On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 01:39:22PM +0100, Daniel Müller wrote:
> it seems a few years ago there where a vfs
> (Dtabasefs!?)modul making it possible to build a virtual
> share from within a mysql database.
> In praxis: I thought to have images in my mysqldatabase.
> The virtual share in samba points to that database.
> Users could browse this virtual share and so searching the
> pitures is much more easier.
>
> Is there anything out that can do this?
> Or what are the conditions to build such vfs-module ?

Just do it :-)

Seriously: This is certainly doable, but it is probably a
considerable amount of work. Read-Only might be okay, but
once you start doing r/w access, things will become very
hairy very quickly.

As an alternative route, I would rather search in the fuse
filesystem space to see if such a thing exists for fuse.
This assumes that you're running on a platform that fuse
supports.

Volker
From: Daniel Müller on
Thank you for Your reply.
Where can I find instructions (Documentation)to build my own vfs-Modul?!
Does opensuse platform supports fuse?

Daniel

On Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 10:41:03AM +0100, Daniel Müller wrote:
> Thank you for Your reply.
> Where can I find instructions (Documentation)to build my own vfs-Modul?!

Sorry, there's not much more than reading examples in
modules/vfs_*, in particular as the interface has changed
quite a bit with Samba 3.5.

> Does opensuse platform supports fuse?

I don't know it positively, but I would be VERY surprised if
it did not.

Volker