From: Karolin Seeger on
Release Announcements
---------------------

This is the first preview release of Samba 3.6. This is *not*
intended for production environments and is designed for testing
purposes only. Please report any defects via the Samba bug reporting
system at https://bugzilla.samba.org/.

Major enhancements in Samba 3.6.0 include:

SMB2 support
------------

SMB2 support in 3.6.0 is fully functional (with one ommission),
and can be enabled by setting:

max protocol = SMB2

in the [global] section of your smb.conf and re-starting
Samba. All features should work over SMB2 except the modification
of user quotas using the Windows quota management tools.

As this is the first release containing what we consider
to be a fully featured SMB2 protocol, we are not enabling
this by default, but encourage users to enable SMB2 and
test it. Once we have enough confirmation from Samba
users and OEMs that SMB2 support is stable in wide user
testing we will enable SMB2 by default in a future Samba
release.

Internal Winbind passdb changes
-------------------------------

Winbind has been changed to use the internal samr and lsa rpc pipe to get
local user and group information instead of calling passdb functions. The
reason is to use more of our infrastructure and test this infrastructure by
using it. With this approach more code in Winbind is shared.

New Spoolss code
----------------

The spoolss and the old RAP printing code have been completely
overhauled and refactored.

All calls from lanman/printing code has been changed to go through the
spoolss RPC interfaces, this allows us to keep all checks in one place
and avoid special cases in the main printing code.
Printing code has been therefore confined within the spoolss code.

All the printing code, including the spoolss RPC interfaces has been
changed to use the winreg RPC interfaces to store all data.
All data has been migrated from custom, arbitrary TDB files to the
registry interface. This transition allow us to present correct data to
windows client accessing the server registry through the winreg RPC
interfaces to query for printer data. Data is served out from a real
registry implementation and therefore arguably 100% forward compatible.

Migration code from the previous TDB files formats is provided. This
code is automatically invoked the first time the new code is run on the
server. Although manual migration is also available using the 'net
printer migrate' command.

These changes not only make all the spoolss code much more closer to
"the spec", it also greatly improves our internal testing of both
spoolss and winreg interfaces, and reduces overall code duplication.

As part of this work, new tests have been also added to increase
coverage.

This code will also allow, in future, an easy transition to split out
the spooling functions into a separate daemon for those OEMs that do not
need printing functionality in their appliances, reducing the code
footprint.

SMB Traffic Analyzer
--------------------

Added the new SMB Traffic Analyzer (SMBTA) VFS module protocol 2
featuring encryption, multiple arguments, and easier parseability. A new
tool 'smbta-util' has been created to control the encryption behaviour
of SMBTA. For compatibility, SMBTA by default operates on version 1.
There are programs consuming the data that the module sends.

More information can be found on
http://holger123.wordpress.com/smb-traffic-analyzer/

Changes
#######

smb.conf changes
----------------

Parameter Name Description Default
-------------- ----------- -------

log writeable files on exit New No
ctdb locktime warn threshold New 0
smb2 max read New 1048576
smb2 max write New 1048576
smb2 max trans New 1048576
username map cache time New 0
async smb echo handler New No

joining the #samba-technical IRC channel on irc.freenode.net.

If you do report problems then please try to send high quality
feedback. If you don't provide vital information to help us track down
the problem then you will probably be ignored. All bug reports should
be filed under the Samba 3.6 product in the project's Bugzilla
database (https://bugzilla.samba.org/).

== Our Code, Our Bugs, Our Responsibility.
== The Samba Team

================
Download Details
================

The uncompressed tarballs and patch files have been signed
using GnuPG (ID 6568B7EA). The source code can be downloaded
from:

http://download.samba.org/samba/ftp/pre

The release notes are available online at:

http://www.samba.org/samba/ftp/pre/WHATSNEW-3-6-0pre1.txt

Binary packages will be made available on a volunteer basis from

http://download.samba.org/samba/ftp/Binary_Packages/

Our Code, Our Bugs, Our Responsibility.
(https://bugzilla.samba.org/)

--Enjoy