From: John Mulligan on
Hello List,

I've run into an interesting situation and am wondering if this is by
design or just an interesting side effect: using both acl_xattr and
a user in the "admin users" list at the same time seem to conflict.

I have a tool that is running on a windows box that needs full access
to files on a given share while ignore individual file and folder
permissions. We were able to make that tool run as an
"admin user" in smb.conf.

When I run the tool with the vfs xattr_acl module turned on (for best
compatibility with nt acls), the tests fail but when using only straight POSIX
acls the test works. Running things manually, it appears that running
with only POSIX acls the root user on the samba side is able to read/write
any file as expected, but with acl_xattr turned on samba is doing some
internal checking of the xattr acls and blocking access to the files.

So my question is, is this by design or is this something that the
samba team would consider as a bug/feature request?
Also feel free to tell me "you're doing it wrong" if there is a better
way to provide read/write access to the windows side regardless of
the acls on the files. None of my searches turned up anything relevant,
but its always possible that I was looking in the wrong direction.

Thank you for your time and the great software.