From: Bruce Lane on
Fellow samba folk,

This one's making me want to tear out what little hair I have left.

THE *NIX PLATFORM: FreeBSD 7.0-RELEASE, Samba 3.3.8.

THE ENVIRONMENT: Small domain, Windows 2003 servers and XP-pro based workstations. The FreeBSD server is a member server in the domain, so at least that works.

THE SYMPTOMS: This is bizarre. I can, using mount_smbfs on the FreeBSD side, easily connect to shares on the Windows server. No hassle, no pain. It Just Works.

HOWEVER -- When I try to connect to a share on the Samba side from any Windows system, I get repeated requests for the username and password, and no combination of such (not even one which I know to be valid) wants to work.

Here's the paste from my smb.conf file. To save space, I have removed the sections I'm not using (as in the ones which I left commented out).

#======================= Global Settings =====================================
[global]

# workgroup = NT-Domain-Name or Workgroup-Name, eg: MIDEARTH
workgroup = BFT-INT

# server string is the equivalent of the NT Description field
server string = BFT Web Server

# Security mode. Defines in which mode Samba will operate. Possible
# values are share, user, server, domain and ads. Most people will want
# user level security. See the Samba-HOWTO-Collection for details.
security = ads
password server = haku2.int.bluefeathertech.com
client use spnego = yes

# This option is important for security. It allows you to restrict
# connections to machines which are on your local network. The
# following example restricts access to two C class networks and
# the "loopback" interface. For more examples of the syntax see
# the smb.conf man page
hosts allow = 192.168.42. 127.

# If you want to automatically load your printer list rather
# than setting them up individually then you'll need this
load printers = no

# Put a capping on the size of the log files (in Kb).
max log size = 50

# Use the realm option only with security = ads
# Specifies the Active Directory realm the host is part of
realm = int.bluefeathertech.com

# Backend to store user information in. New installations should
# use either tdbsam or ldapsam. smbpasswd is available for backwards
# compatibility. tdbsam requires no further configuration.
passdb backend = tdbsam

# Configure Samba to use multiple interfaces
# If you have multiple network interfaces then you must list them
# here. See the man page for details.
interfaces = 192.168.42.130/24

# Browser Control Options:
# set local master to no if you don't want Samba to become a master
# browser on your network. Otherwise the normal election rules apply
local master = no

# OS Level determines the precedence of this server in master browser
# elections. The default value should be reasonable
os level = 33

# Domain Master specifies Samba to be the Domain Master Browser. This
# allows Samba to collate browse lists between subnets. Don't use this
# if you already have a Windows NT domain controller doing this job
domain master = no

# Preferred Master causes Samba to force a local browser election on startup
# and gives it a slightly higher chance of winning the election
preferred master = no

# Enable this if you want Samba to be a domain logon server for
# Windows95 workstations.
domain logons = no

# Windows Internet Name Serving Support Section:
# WINS Support - Tells the NMBD component of Samba to enable it's WINS Server
wins support = no

# WINS Server - Tells the NMBD components of Samba to be a WINS Client
# Note: Samba can be either a WINS Server, or a WINS Client, but NOT both
wins server = 192.168.42.90

# DNS Proxy - tells Samba whether or not to try to resolve NetBIOS names
# via DNS nslookups. The default is NO.
dns proxy = no

#============================ Share Definitions ==============================
[webstuff]
comment = Featherweb doc directories
path = /usr/local/www/htdocs
browseable = yes
writable = yes
valid users = kyrrin jlanfri kathy
write list = @www @wheel
create mask = 0755

[logging]
comment = Featherweb logging
path = /var/log
browseable = yes
writable = no
valid users = kyrrin jlanfri kathy

featherweb#

What puzzles me is this was working just fine for months, and then it failed for no apparent reason.

Any guesses?

Thanks much.