From: Gary Roach on
I have a mix of Win2K and Debian Linux computers. My cable router/switch
is acting as a DHCP server and a DNS server for my internal 19.168.1.
network. My new computer Lzit1 is acting as a smbd, nmbd and winbind
server. My Lzit2 is acting as a samba client. Wzit3 and Wzit4 also exist.

When trying to change the file attributes of Lzit2 from Lzit1 I get:

Changing
the attributes of files is not supported with protocol smb.

When trying to delete files from Lzit2 via Lzit1 I get:

The file or folder smb://Lzit2 ........ does not exist

Now I can see the files in Dolphin and can open, change attributes and
delete some. Others. I get the above errors. I can't seem to get a
consistent pattern of behavior. Directories seem to be more likely to
cause trouble.

My Samba config files are:

Lzit1 server:

# Samba config file created using SWAT
# from UNKNOWN (127.0.0.1)
# Date: 2010/08/12 12:50:12

[global]
server string = %h server
obey pam restrictions = Yes
pam password change = Yes
passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
passwd chat = *Enter\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n *Retype\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n *password\supdated\ssuccessfully* .
unix password sync = Yes
syslog = 0
log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
max log size = 1000
printcap name = cups
add user script = /usr/sbin/useradd -m %u
delete user script = /usr/sbin/userdel -r %u
add group script = /usr/sbin/groupadd %g
delete group script = /usr/sbin/groupdel %g
add user to group script = /usr/sbin/groupmod -A %u %g
delete user from group script = /usr/sbin/groupmod -R %u %g
add machine script = /usr/sbin/useradd -s /bin/false -d /ver/lib/nobody %u
logon script = scripts\logon.bat
logon drive = M:
logon home = \\%N\%U\profile
domain logons = Yes
os level = 255
preferred master = Auto
domain master = Yes
dns proxy = No
wins support = Yes
idmap uid = 15000-20000
idmap gid = 15000-20000

[homes]
comment = Home Directories
valid users = %S
read only = No
create mask = 0600
directory security mask = 0700
guest ok = Yes
hosts allow = 192.138.1.
browseable = No
browsable = No

[printers]
comment = All Printers
path = /var/spool/samba
create mask = 0600
guest ok = Yes
printable = Yes
browseable = No
browsable = No

[print$]
comment = Printer Drivers
path = /var/lib/samba/drivers
write list = root, gary

[netlogon]
comment = Network Logon Service
path = /var/lib/samba/netlogon
admin users = root, gary
guest ok = Yes
browseable = No
browsable = No

[Profiles]
comment = Home Directories
valid users = %S
read only = No
create mask = 0600
directory security mask = 0700
guest ok = Yes
hosts allow = 192.138.1.
browseable = No
browsable = No
available = No

[GaryHome]
comment = Garys samba share
path = /home/gary

[epson]
comment = Epson Color Stylus RX680
path = /var/spool/samba
printable = Yes
printer name = epson

Lzit2 client:

From: Gary Roach on
Sorry about the truncated message: I hit the wrong button.
The rest of the information is

Lzit2 samba config:
Samba config file created using SWAT
# from UNKNOWN (127.0.0.1)
# Date: 2010/08/12 12:53:04

[global]
server string = %h file server
security = DOMAIN
pam password change = Yes
unix password sync = Yes
log level = 2
syslog = 0
log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
max log size = 50
printcap name = cups
disable spoolss = Yes
show add printer wizard = No
add machine script = /usr/sbin/useradd -s /bin/false -d /dev/null
-g machines '%u'
os level = 65
local master = No
domain master = No
dns proxy = No
ldap ssl = no
idmap uid = 15000-20000
idmap gid = 15000-20000
winbind use default domain = Yes
hosts allow = 192.168.1.

[homes]
comment = Home Directories
valid users = %S
read only = No
create mask = 0700
directory mask = 0700
browseable = No
browsable = No

[printers]
comment = All Printers
path = /var/spool/samba
create mask = 0700
printable = Yes
use client driver = Yes
browseable = No
browsable = No

[print$]
comment = Printer Drivers
path = /var/lib/samba/printers
guest ok = Yes
hosts allow =

[netlogon]
comment = Network Logon Service
path = /var/lib/samba/netlogon/
browseable = No
browsable = No

[gary]
comment = Garys Samba Share hdb
path = /hdb/gary
read only = No

[diane]
comment = Dianes Samba Share
path = /hdb/diane
read only = No

[GaryHome]
comment = Garys Samba share hda
path = /home/gary
read only = No

[epson]
comment = Epson Color Stylus RX680
path = /var/spool/samba
read only = No
create mask = 0700
hosts allow =
printable = Yes
printer name = epson

I am thoroughly confused. Can any one help.

Thanks

Gary R.

From: Camaleón on
On Thu, 12 Aug 2010 13:08:22 -0700, Gary Roach wrote:

> I have a mix of Win2K and Debian Linux computers. My cable router/switch
> is acting as a DHCP server and a DNS server for my internal 19.168.1.
> network. My new computer Lzit1 is acting as a smbd, nmbd and winbind
> server. My Lzit2 is acting as a samba client. Wzit3 and Wzit4 also
> exist.
>
> When trying to change the file attributes of Lzit2 from Lzit1 I get:
>
> Changing
> the attributes of files is not supported with protocol smb.
>

> When trying to delete files from Lzit2 via Lzit1 I get:
>
> The file or folder smb://Lzit2 ........ does not exist

(...)

Just a quick question that may not be related to the issue you are
asking, but... could I ask why are you using smb/cifs protocol for
accessing/managing files and perms from/to linux boxes (I'm assuming here
both "Lzitx" computers are indeed linuxes)?

You can use ssh (command line), sftp:// (nautilus/konqueror 4.4) or
fish:// (konqueror 3.x), just to preserve your "sanity" :-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

El 2010-08-12 a las 21:12 -0700, Gary Roach escribió:

(resending to the list, it reached just my e-mail)

> On 01/-10/-28163 11:59 AM, Camaleón wrote:

>> On Thu, 12 Aug 2010 13:08:22 -0700, Gary Roach wrote:

(...)

>>> When trying to change the file attributes of Lzit2 from Lzit1 I get:
>>>
>>> Changing
>>> the attributes of files is not supported with protocol smb.
>>>

>>> When trying to delete files from Lzit2 via Lzit1 I get:
>>>
>>> The file or folder smb://Lzit2 ........ does not exist
>>>
>> (...)
>>
>> Just a quick question that may not be related to the issue you are
>> asking, but... could I ask why are you using smb/cifs protocol for
>> accessing/managing files and perms from/to linux boxes (I'm assuming here
>> both "Lzitx" computers are indeed linuxes)?
>>
>> You can use ssh (command line), sftp:// (nautilus/konqueror 4.4) or
>> fish:// (konqueror 3.x), just to preserve your "sanity" :-)

> In answer to your question, I was trying for one size fits all and a
> completely transparent system. Maybe this is just unrealistic. Also, I
> am not the sharpest tack in the box when it comes to networking. Yes the
> L systems are both Linux systems.

Not unrealistic at all, but samba has it own tricks and well-knowing
them is not an easy task. I avoid using samba as much as I can just for
that... is a bit complex to deal with when it comes to posix-winnt
permissions matching :-)

Some thoughts for your problem... check samba server logs and, one more
question, how are were you changing the permissions of the file, via
"smbclient setmode" or using graphical file manager? :-?

> Thanks for the reply
>
> Gary R.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

On Thu, Aug 12, 2010 at 4:08 PM, Gary Roach <gary719_list1(a)verizon.net> wrote:

> I have a mix of Win2K and Debian Linux computers. My cable router/switch is
> acting as a DHCP server and a DNS server for my internal 19.168.1. network.
> My new computer Lzit1 is acting as a smbd, nmbd and winbind server. My Lzit2
> is acting as a samba client. Wzit3 and Wzit4 also exist.
>
> When trying to change the file attributes of Lzit2 from Lzit1 I get:
>
> Changing
> the attributes of files is not supported with protocol smb.
>
> When trying to delete files from Lzit2 via Lzit1 I get:
>
> The file or folder smb://Lzit2 ........ does not exist
>
> Now I can see the files in Dolphin and can open, change attributes and
> delete some. Others. I get the above errors. I can't seem to get a
> consistent pattern of behavior. Directories seem to be more likely to
> cause trouble.

Are the files that you can't change/delete in the gary share?

> [gary]
> comment = Garys Samba Share hdb
> path = /hdb/gary
> read only = No

Are the perms of /hdb/gary the same as of /home/gary?