From: Tobias Schliebitz on
Dear all,

I'm currently trying out Samba4.0.0-alpha10. Because I'm unfamiliar with
the Berkeley Internet Name Demon (bind), I've so far been using dnsmasq
on my home network. I just want to inform eveybody who cares that it's
possible to set up Samba4 and dnsmasq so as to allow domain logons from
a Windows 7 workstation.

Generally, I followed the how-to on the samba-wiki
( But I skipped Step 8
(Configure Server-side DNS) and put most of the entries in what is
called YOUR.ZONE.conf into my /etc/hosts, which is in turn read by
dnsmasq and propagated to the network clients. Here is what it looks like:

--- localhost
localhost yoda.heimatnetz.priv yoda
[... description of my network clients ...] gc._msdcs.heimatnetz.priv
gc._msdcs _gc._tcp.heimatnetz.priv
_ldap._tcp.Default-First-Site-Name._sites.gc._msdcs _gc._tcp.gc._msdcs.heimatnetz.priv
_gc._tcp.gc._msdcs _ldap._tcp.gc._msdcs.heimatnetz.priv
_ldap._tcp.gc._msdcs _ldap._tcp.heimatnetz.priv
_ldap._tcp _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.heimatnetz.priv

Of course, you must be very careful with any MS-specific entry containig
an underscore ( _ ).
Then the /etc/dnsmasq.conf file:

dhcp-option=1, # Subnet Mask
dhcp-option=3, # Router/Gateway
dhcp-option=6, # Domain Server (DNS)
dhcp-option=44, # Netbios Name Server (WINS)
dhcp-option=4, # Time Server

Naturally, the lines concerning DNS and WINS are especially important.
No special entries in the smb.conf file besides those created by
provisioning are necessary, but the entries there ought to match your
network configuration. Mine are:

netbios name = YODA
server string = Samba 4 auf yoda.heimatnetz.priv

workgroup = HEIMATNETZ
server role = domain controller

unix charset = ISO8859-1
dos charset = UTF8
log level = 0

time server = yes

path = /usr/local/samba/var/locks/sysvol/heimatnetz.priv/scripts
read only = no

read only = no

I hope this helps someone save some time, as it cost me many hours to
find this way.