From: Mike Leone on
I have a Samba 3.4.0 server (from Ubuntu 9.04), as a member server in my
Win2003 AD (which has MS Services for Unix 3.5 installed). All seems
well, in that it is properly joined to my AD, I've got it all configured
so that domain members can log into the Linux servers using their domain
credentials.

Here's my config:

# WINBIND
# idmap domains = DACRIB
idmap config DACRIB: default = true
idmap uid = 10000-20000
idmap gid = 10000-20000
idmap config DACRIB:schema_mode = rfc2307

2 questions:

1. I had to comment out "idmap domains = DACRIB", as it said it was an
unknown parameter. Isn't that the proper format to list the AD domain
for idmapping?

2. If I understand it correctly, "idmap config DACRIB:RID=10000-20000"
equivalent to what I have above? Would that give me any capabilities
that my "default = true" does not give me? (I'd have to change "passdb
backend = tdbsam" to .. what?)

smb.conf follows:

[global]
workgroup = DACRIB
realm = DACRIB.LOCAL
server string = %h server (Samba %v, Domain: %D, Server: %L -%R)
security = ADS
map to guest = Bad User

client use spnego = true
client ntlmv2 auth = yes
# PAM AUTH
encrypt passwords = Yes
obey pam restrictions = Yes
pam password change = true
password server = dim-win2300.DaCrib.local
passdb backend = tdbsam
pam password change = Yes
passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
passwd chat = *Enter\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n
*Retype\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n *password\supdated\ssuccessfully* .
unix password sync = Yes

log level = 1
syslog = 0
log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
max log size = 1000

preferred master = No
domain master = No
local master = No
os level = 2
; browse list = Yes

dns proxy = No
usershare allow guests = Yes

# WINBIND
# idmap domains = DACRIB
idmap config DACRIB: default = true
idmap uid = 10000-20000
idmap gid = 10000-20000
idmap config DACRIB:schema_mode = rfc2307

winbind enum users = Yes
winbind enum groups = Yes
winbind use default domain = No
winbind nested groups = Yes