From: Oliver Weinmann on
I have investigated further and compared the behaviour of samba 3.3 and
samba 3.5 on 2 identical SLES9 VM's. Samba 3.3 is working as expected
with our Win2k3 SFU Domain and idmap_ad module. Samba 3.5 is not. I
noticed that there are a few kerberos params that have changed in 3.5
but I just can't get 3.5 to work as expected:

sles9test3:~ # testparm
rlimit_max: rlimit_max (1024) below minimum Windows limit (16384)
Unknown parameter encountered: "use kerberos keytab"
Ignoring unknown parameter "use kerberos keytab"
Loaded services file OK.
Server role: ROLE_DOMAIN_MEMBER

For example I can run getent passwd and getent group fine under 3.3 but
not under 3.5. Also I created a user in AD "tuser2" this user is visible
within 1 minute under 3.3 under 3.5 it's not even visible after a
reboot. Also group memberships of AD users are not updated under 3.5.2.

I'm not sure if this is a bug. I tried a lot of things in smb.conf but
it just doesn't work. At the moment I have to consider going back to
3.3.

I googled a lot in the past days to find a correct smb.conf for 3.5 and
idmap_ad but it's really hard to find a well documented howto.

I would really appreciate if someone has a look on this.

Here is my smb.conf:

[global]
netbios name = sles9test1
realm = SOMEDOMAIN.NET
workgroup = SOMEDOMAIN
security = ADS
encrypt passwords = yes
password server = dc.somedomain.net
os level = 20
idmap backend = ad
idmap config SOMEDOMAIN : backend = ad
idmap config SOMEDOMAIN : schema_mode = sfu
idmap config SOMEDOMAIN : range = 0-99999999
winbind nss info = sfu
winbind enum users = yes
winbind enum groups = yes
preferred master = no
winbind nested groups = Yes
winbind use default domain = Yes
max log size = 50
log level = 10
log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
dns proxy = no
wins server = 172.20.200.18 172.18.200.20
allow trusted domains = no
client use spnego = Yes
use kerberos keytab = true
winbind refresh tickets = yes