From: Mark Fox on
Why would NTConfig.POL be ignored?

I've got an Ubuntu server running a Samba (3.3.2) PDC. I've created
NTConfig.POL as per www.pcc-services.com (on a Windows XP Pro machine, for a
Windows XP Pro machine), and stuck it in the netlogon share, but it doesn't
go.

The XP machine can get at the netlogon share and is part of the domain. It
can access other shares as well. I get nothing in the logs on the Samba
machine that makes me think that the XP machine is trying to grab
NTConfig.POL, but haven't yet raised the logging levels or sniffed the
network. The permissions on the netlogon share and NTConfig.POL are readable
to all. The XP machine is pretty virginal. I've disabled the anti-virus
software. Looking at the registry, the UpdateMode in
HKLMSYSTEMCurrentControlSetControlUpdate is set to automatic (2).

Here's the NETLOGON stuff from smb.conf:

---
[netlogon]
comment = Network Logon Service
path = /home/samba/netlogon
browseable = no
guest ok = yes
read only = yes
write list = admin
share modes = no # This makes my spider-senses tingle.
---

I'm not yet very strong with Windows networking, so my guess is it's an
obvious problem on the Windows side. In any case, I've just about scratched
a hole in my head.

Mark